Careers and job opportunities
Share:

HSE penalty for electric shock incident
28th January 2016

An electrical power company has been fined after a worker was paralysed after receiving an electric shock and falling from a ladder.

Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how an employee of Bristol based Western Power Distribution PLC, suffered permanent spinal injuries as a result of falling from height after coming into contact with live electrical equipment.

The worker was part of a two-man team tasked with changing an antenna at Brithdir cemetery in April 2013. After climbing a ladder he received an electric shock when he touched the antenna. Pushing himself off the ladder to avoid potential electrocution, he fell four and a half metres.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there to be a fault in the wiring causing the external metal to become connected to the 230v power supply.

Western Power Distribution (South Wales) PLC was fined a total of £300,000, and ordered to pay £18,178 in costs, after pleading guilty to an offence under Regulation 4(1) and 4(3) of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Dean Baker, said: “The worker suffered life-changing injuries as a result of the company’s failure to carry out adequate tests on electrical equipment and was lucky not to have received a fatal electric shock.”

Full details of the HSE report into this incident are provided here

Join us on LinkedIn

<< back to all Seaward news
Share:
 
Stay up to date with the latest news from Seaward
 
When joining, you agree to Seaward contacting you via email about industry news, useful guides, webinars and workshops, and Seaward products which we feel will be of interest to you. Please refer to our privacy policy for more information on how we use your details.