Nightmare jobs, what's your worst one so far?

PATGuard 3 Forum

Nightmare jobs, what's your worst one so far?

Postby LeeTurtle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Have just finished what should have been a 3 hour job that turned into 5.
The firm has a nice little office with 3-4 staff.
Started off quite nicely working my way round the room systematically until I get to the pod of desks, where I find one mass of cables.
After unplugging everything (not happy bunnies at this point as they only wanted one PC off at a time) and untangling everything, I found that they had daisy chained 4 extension leads! Not only that, but two were a 4 gang and two were a 6 gang and each was overloaded. The worst plug had actually melted into the ext lead and needed to be prised apart.
The best of it was that they had plenty of wall sockets (with spare) for all the appliances.
Think they had just become complacent and overlooked what was happening.

What's your worst?
Last edited by LeeTurtle on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeeTurtle

Re: Nightmare jobs, what's your worst one so far?

Postby mark » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Had a similar job recently, however the extension lead cables were boxed in behind the desks and then the cables fed through holes drilled through stud wall and into the next office. Spoke to the office manager, told him I couldnt test them unless he wants to pay my standard hourly rate and made a note on his report.
mark

Postby LeeTurtle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Don't you just hate that!!!
Did you manage to get the test done in the end? Or just put it down as a formal visual?
LeeTurtle

Postby mark » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:24 pm

All I could do really was a visual on the plug and I plugged a socket tester into one of the outlets to confirm polarity.
mark

Postby edutech » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:03 pm

In terms of being hazzardous. Recently came across a 32amp appliance where the socket and plug ends had been installed the wrong way round. That is to say that the plug was fitted to the supply and the socket to the appliance. And they say that this PAT is a waste of time.
edutech

Postby LeeTurtle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi edutech

Well that could have been fun, their luck nobody has been fried let alone yourself!
Agree with you, sometimes it is a battle to get businesses to understand that having PAT inspections is an essential part of their business.
Check out the pic, had this one today... (not the manicure!)

Last edited by Gary Aspinall on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Picture code error.
LeeTurtle

Postby Grizzly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 pm

That's fairly neat wiring for a bodge job!
At least they've got both cable sheaths in the cord grip. Many wouldn't bother. :roll:
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby LeeTurtle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:42 pm

They just get better and better.
This one is at a Dentist!! Nicely overloading the APC Battery Backup with the home made IEC into the 6 gang extension lead and then plug top feeding a junction box supplying another 7 items!!
But hey, it’s ok, it’s a surge protected extension!
:shock:

LeeTurtle

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I think my worst was a 13A extension reel from a well-known DIY chain - own-brand - where the earth wire wasn't connected in the plug. The reel was fairly new and showed no signs of having been tampered with. That could have been the difference between life and death!

T
Tony

Postby Grizzly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 am

Back in the day (we're talking 15+ yrs ago), the student union I worked at (event lighting & sound) decided to instigate a PAT regime for the whole building. We already did in-service inspection & test on the entertainments lighting and sound kit, but this was expanded to include offices, bars, catering, union shop, printers, cleaners equipment, the lot. A big, if boring, slice of work over the summer vacation for me and my mate, using a PAT1000S, and Shire Systems Safety 1st records software.
At the end of the testing, we had a massive cardboard box full of confiscated appliances, mainly damaged extension leads, chopped-off plugs etc., plus a load of bigger fails that couldn't fit in the box. It was all kept to show to management, who were a bit sceptical of the benefits of doing (or rather paying for) the testing.

Two howlers have stayed in my mind still:

A big metal pie warming cabinet in one of the catering outlets was found to have the plug wired brown to N, blue to E and green/yellow to L (if memory serves). It still worked, but was a disaster waiting to happen. One of the union porters had changed the plug, and didn't really have the first clue what he was doing. He was bawled out by his line manager, and explicitly banned from attempting any further electrical work of any kind.

A 'home-made' 3-way extension lead was found in one of the student society offices: someone had taken a multiway cube adaptor (one of these: http://fl1.shopmania.org/files/photo-images/7940/3-way-multi-plug-13a-adaptor-fused-resilient-pa042a~7939349.jpg), removed the pins, soldered a length of 1mm^2 T&E in their place, then terminated the other end with a standard 13A plug. Wrong in so many ways!

Ah, happy days.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing