Prime test 350 problem

PATGuard 3 Forum

Prime test 350 problem

Postby oox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi

Turned up to do a job today only to find my 350 was dead so swapped batteries only to find the same. Got back and checked batteries were charged fully as i thought. Tester came on and all seemed fine so powered down and tried to power up again only to find no sign of life again screen doesnt do anything at all.

Only got it "calibrated" just over 2 weeks ago :( and this has never happened before has anyone else had this or know what it might be?

thanks

Nick
oox

Re: Prime test 350 problem

Postby Richard Williams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Good afternoon

oox wrote:Hi

Turned up to do a job today only to find my 350 was dead so swapped batteries only to find the same. Got back and checked batteries were charged fully as i thought. Tester came on and all seemed fine so powered down and tried to power up again only to find no sign of life again screen doesnt do anything at all.

Only got it "calibrated" just over 2 weeks ago :( and this has never happened before has anyone else had this or know what it might be?

thanks

Nick

It would appear that this is not a battery related issue, if you have tried different sets of fully charged batteries then there could be an underlying issue. Is the power button being depressed fully? It is noted that the button needs to be held on for 2-3 seconds before the unit powers up. This is to prevent the unit being knocked and just turning on randomly.

Did you send it to Seaward to be calibrated? Has the issue only arisen since it was calibrated? Are you still having the issue now?

Please feel free to contact our service dept who will furnish you with more info about returning the unit for repair, if you feel that there is an ongoing issue with the unit.

led wrote:Yes
I have had the exact same problem...reported to seaward but not very helpfull. I don't charge the batteries located in the pt350 anymore and haven't had the problem since. I charge the batteries in a seperate charger.
Come on seaward if you are aware of this problem fess up and sort it out.
Don't charge your batteries whilst in the PT350 and see if that makes a difference. As I have said it did for me.
regards

It is possible that there is an issue with the charger here, again, as above please feel free to contact the service dept to discuss the return of the unit (or in the case the charger) for repair.

It would appear that these two issues are unrelated, albeit they are similar sounding.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Richard Williams

Postby Richard Williams » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:56 am

Hello Led

Thank you for your reply, and of course I dont mind if you disagree :D

My reasoning was as follows though,

OOX mentioned that on finding that the tester was dead he / she tried different batteries to be faced with the same issue that the unit wouldnt turn on. This would indicate that the charger has been excluded as a potential fault as the issue remained once the 'charged' batteries were removed.

In fact in your subsequent post you have now mentioned that you tried different batteries

led wrote:As in the questioner's case, I also I tried different batteries to no avail, but the unit was working as per normal the following day.

Im not saying what you are telling me is wrong, im just unsure of why you have targeted the charging system when different batteries were used, that weren't charged in the unit, and the same issue appeared. You mentioned overheating, did the PrimeTest just not work straight after the charge?

Now, with your further information, it could indicate a similar problem, however, we have no record of a consistent fault of this nature (either overheating or just not working) in the many PrimeTest 350 testers that we have sold over the past couple of years. Now please dont get me wrong, there have been various faults, as is the way with electronics, but again, nothing consistently at fault.

How old is your unit? When did it start happening? Have you sent it to us to be checked over?

I hope that this makes sense and you can see why I posted my reply.

Thanks and kind regards
Richard Williams

Postby Duff1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:47 am

Just to add my experiences with what maybe related issues? - We have no less than 8 PT350's, personally I never use the on board charger and always charge my batteries externally. I've received many reports from members of the team that with onboard charging the batteries are only good for 5-6 tests before they switch off whilst externally charged batteries will go on for 2-3 days of testing. I don't have time to mess about so don't take any chances. I don't know if it is just on 1, 2 or all 8 of the units.

The five newer test units also seem to have a display feature!? They mostly work (!) but sometimes when powering up, the screens maybe flicker, maybe produce some horizontal lines but that's it. We have to hold the red button down ie the powering off procedure then start again. Usually they work the second time? Sometimes when using them a little while the screens will scramble the display, again powering off and on again sorts it out. The three older units don't have this feature.

Any other experiences like this out there?
Duff 1
Duff1

Postby HWUGTB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:42 am

see my thread about the battery issues-

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228

It reports flat battery's and shuts off when there is still 1400-1500maH left in them , if discharged to 6V, each battery = 1V on a external battery tester.
HWUGTB

Postby Matilda1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 pm

You may find the problem has nothing to do with either the batteries or the on off buttons. it may well be the connection in the top of the tester where you plug in the power. I have PT300 in Australia and was returning my tester to the shop for callibration, where it would not power up, when i knew it should be fully charged. The technicians immediately recognised this problem and the power connectors in the top of the tester were replaced as it was still in warranty. it has been charged with the batteries in every day since - 6 months ago.

mine also does the fuzzy powering up thing, but i think it is just that i am not holding the green button on hard enough sometimes.
Matilda1

Postby Duff1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Of our 8 units 5 were purchased together less than a year ago. These all seem to have the "display Feature" reported above. How you press/hold the green/on button makes absolutely no difference. Somtimes when 'powering up' the screen just flickers and often displays horizontal lines. You have to power off and repeat sometimes several times.

When running these 5 also sometimes fail to update the display. For example we may run a Class 2 test sequence - Visual and insulation tests work fine and move on, the touch current test completes but continues to display the test result as if the test was operated manually. So the display does not change to the data entry screen. However if you continue to work blind as if the screen had updated it still works as you would of expected. Often it will update a few pixels here and there so the screen gradually becomes a complete mess. Usually I can manage to work blind to the end of the sequence and print the result labels; then I have to reboot. The problem may repeat the very next sequence or may disappear for the rest of the day; it seems completely random.

Familiar to anyone? Comments Seaward?
Duff 1
Duff1

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Hello Duff / Led

Our engineers have been investigating reported problems where the display shows horizontal lines or appears to freeze even though the tester is progressing through the test sequence. This problem was not reported with older PT350 units and we have now tracked it down to a change made to the LCD module itself by our supplier. The module appears to be susceptible to interference generated by switching transients within the PT350. There is now a hardware update available to address this.

Regards
Jim
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby phill » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 am

so if there is a hardware fault. will affected devices be repaired free of charge.
I also have a 350 with this exact fault
phill

Postby phill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 pm

so again. on affected units will you repair them free of charge.
this fault is a pain and causes no end of problems
phill

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing