IEC Lead Testing

PATGuard 3 Forum

IEC Lead Testing

Postby safetec » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:14 pm

I have just upgraded my PAT Testing equipment to the Seward Europa Plus system, very impressed with it and should make my work a lot easier and automated etc.

The only problem im having at the moment is the Earth Continuity testing for IEC Leads. I have a couple of my own i have been using to practise with the tester but both leads, one brand new are constantly failing the earth continuity test i keep getting a reading of >19.99 ohms which obviously is a fail, i have made the necessary adjustment witht the limit calculator but the lead is only 2m in length. The short IEC lead that came with the tester for testing ext, leads passes the IEC testing with ease.

I cant seem to work out whats causing this failure, if anyone can advise id be very grateful.

Thank you

Re: IEC Lead Testing

Postby Grizzly » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Seems obvious, but have you confirmed that earth continuity exists in the leads, using a multimeter or continuity bleeper?
It's a bit strange that the short IEC lead tests OK, but your other leads fail as if no earth were present at all, rather than just slightly over the pass limit.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02

Postby calibr8 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:45 am

If you get your tester calibrated, they should check this for you (but ask first as some calibration companies don't).

Assuming your IEC leads are OK, it sounds like an intermittent fault with the PAT tester.

The most common cause would be a loose connection in the back of the socket, inside the case, so give the tester a gentle shake and see if the test result changes.

You could also try doing a manual earth continuity test, using the earth bond lead connected to the earth at the 'free' end of the IEC lead (with the 13A plug end connected to the PAT tester)...A low reading would mean that your IEC lead and the connection into the 13A socket are OK.

Postby Duff1 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Yer sounds an odd one: >19.99ohms means it is off the top of the scale ie the earth is open circuit?
Check the leads carefully. I did come across one case where the earth pin on molded on 13A plugs was insulated the same as for the two live pins!?
Duff 1

Return to Portable Appliance Testing