merging databases

PATGuard 3 Forum

merging databases

Postby Dudley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:41 pm

This ought to be easy to do but I just can't see for looking!

I have several PG3 and PG2 databases that I would like to merge into one - question is how do I do it??

I have tried the manual and couldn't see anything useful there - plenty about exporting files but not importing. Is there a way of opening multiple databases and then dragging and dropping data from database to database?

Re: merging databases

Postby grantsonuk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Not sure about pg3 but pg2 uses a Microsoft access database (.mdb file) on the back end unless you have the SQL version.

With the PG2 databases back up your .mdb files and import the data from one to the other

Here is the microsoft documentation on merging/importing data

Just remember, before manipulating data always back up

Postby Phil Hoppe » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Have you tried Transferring each of your Customers to a briefcase PAT file.
No database tools required.
you just have to make sure that the PAT file was created in PG3 if going to a PG3 database.
Phil Hoppe

Postby southseas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:24 am

Hi Dudley

You won't be able to directly merge PG2 Databases into PG3, their structure is different. I would first merge the PG2 Databases, not being a DB guru, by doing as Phil suggests (G'day Mr Hoppe). Send each DB to a PAT File, open a new PG2 Database and import each PG2 Pat file into that.

Then open your merged PG2 Database with Patguard 3, this will turn it into a PG3 DB, send that to a Pat file (PG3 format)- merge the PG3 databases by sending them to Pat files and opening in a new DB, finally open your :merged PG2 (now a PG3) Pat file and that's it- pretty messy, and if someone can share a quicker way, great.

Postby Amy Lyons » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 am

Hi Dudley

southseas is correct (thanks for this). The below help guide gives further instruction if you just ignore the SQL part.
Thanks and kind regards

Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer
Test & Measurement Division
Seaward Electronic
Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer

Return to Portable Appliance Testing