PAT TESTING FIXED EQUIPMENT IN LANDLORDS PROPERTIES

PATGuard 3 Forum

PAT TESTING FIXED EQUIPMENT IN LANDLORDS PROPERTIES

Postby ALAN GIBSON » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:09 am

In the 4th edition of the Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment It is not clear whether Landlords are required to PAT test fixed equipment off fused connection units such as storage heaters, Immersion heaters, boilers etc.
As I work for a housing association with over 13000 properties this could be a major expense.
I understand about carrying out Risk assessments to determine whether or not it should be done but would this stand up in court if a tenant was electrocuted from an appliance if we have not PAT tested any fixed equipment in any of our properties?
If we do need to PAT test fixed equipment then how often does it need to be done as there is no Guidance for Landlords in the table on page 52? Would it come under Equipment used by the public? This recommends a formal visual inspection every 12 Months and a combined inspection and test every 36 Months. You can imagine the impact to our Housing Association if we are to carry out an inspection to 13000 properties every Year!
Can anyone advise please?
ALAN GIBSON

Re: PAT TESTING FIXED EQUIPMENT IN LANDLORDS PROPERTIES

Postby Patnik » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 pm

As you say just what you check and what tests you conduct and how often is down to risk assessment and I don't see that anyone on a forum can answer these questions!

Have these items not been tested previously, perhaps as part of the periodical installation inspections? This might give some data on how likely they are to become dangerous. Does the Housing Association replace this stuff when it gets old or are you looking a load of 25 year old water heaters hanging off a bit of rubber flex? Are the tenants careless with the stuff? Can they be relied on to report breakages?

Unless the stuff is all brand new and the tenants are all angels I'd have thought a minimum of earth check and visual every 3 years.

Nik
Patnik

Return to Portable Appliance Testing