Exteral Voltage Detected

PATGuard 3 Forum

Exteral Voltage Detected

Postby southseas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:41 am

When testing items (such as a pump) that have a starting capacitor in them- my PTE (Apollo 600) shows a warning splash screen- "Voltage detected on external probe" and won't perform an Earth Continuity test. Likewise, when testing a data router that has data cables plugged into it that have a signal boaster connected to one of them, it does the same thing.

This is a bit of a PITA, is there a way of suppressing the warning and running the test?
southseas

Re: Exteral Voltage Detected

Postby Amy Lyons » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi southseas

I'm not sure why the tester would be coming up with this message on these items. Is it a particular brand of item or is it all items like this?
Thanks and kind regards

Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer
Test & Measurement Division
Seaward Electronic
Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer

Postby southseas » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Is it a particular brand of item or is it all items like this?

Hi Amy, seems to be a random occurrence with any earthed item that may have an internal/external source of voltage. I've had the message come up when I've been testing terminals with hard data connections- unplug all the network cables, and it goes away- this cure isn't feasible if it detects the presence of voltage with a router etc.

Likewise, randomly with single phase motors that have a capacitor in their start windings
southseas

Postby Phil Hoppe » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi Southseas,
start the test and then plug the item in. This seems to be the recommended way around this challenge. Ive also found that grounding the active and neutral pins prior to the test is enough to discharge a capacitor and get started.
Phil Hoppe

Return to Portable Appliance Testing