PrimeTest 100 won't test some class 1 appliances?

PATGuard 3 Forum

PrimeTest 100 won't test some class 1 appliances?

Postby justinmk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:42 pm

My second query, as mentioned before I have trained so I can test appliances in my charities' premises.

I have come across a number of electric heaters which have an earth cable but the PrimeTest 100 won't let me run a class 1 test, I can only do a class 2 test. Other class 1 appliances have tested fine.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? Would a class 2 test be sufficient in this instance?

Thanks again.
justinmk

Re: PrimeTest 100 won't test some class 1 appliances?

Postby Alan Freeman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Justin

Do I read correctly from your username that you might be in MK??

I am in Bedford, so might be able to arrange to meet and see what your issue is.
Alan Freeman

Postby justinmk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi Alan, no actually "mk" is derived from my surname! I am based in Worcester.

Does this problem sound unusual?
justinmk

Postby Patnik » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:10 am

I'm not clear what you mean as the instrument not letting you run a class 1 test? Do you mean it's failing the heaters on the earth test? If so is the earth reading given open circuit (>99.99) or just a bit too high to pass?

If the heater is class 2 then it will have a class 2 'box in a box' symbol somewhere on it, if not then no it isn't acceptable to just assume it's class 2 - you need to establish why it fails the earth test. Is there an earth core in the flex?

Are you sure the metal work you are testing to is supposed to connect to earth (for instance metal fan heater grills may well not be earthed)? Are you trying to test through paint or anodizing - you might need to scratch through to bare metal?

If the bottom line is that the heater is metal encased and you are pretty sure it should be earthed and that you are doing the test correctly yet can't find a satisfactory earth then you should fail it and take it out of use.
Patnik

Postby Grizzly » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:52 pm

justinmk wrote:... but the PrimeTest 100 won't let me run a class 1 test,

In what way is the unit preventing you from running a Class I test? What messages does it display?
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Return to Portable Appliance Testing