Fixed Appliances

PATGuard 3 Forum

Fixed Appliances

Postby grantsonuk » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Ok so once again I'm trying to get organised, get my tester calibrated and actually take on some testing work (hopefully enough to pay for the calibration costs)

I know that the new regulations now say that fixed appliances such as radiators connected to fused spurs require to be tested as well as appliances with a plug on them and from memory the regulations also state that they need to be disconnected/reconnected by a qualified electrician.

So what i was wondering, is there a specific ticket that one can get to be qualified to isolate appliances for testing or would I need to advise people to get an electrician in to isolate/test fixed appliances separately?
grantsonuk

Re: Fixed Appliances

Postby Graeme » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi grantsonuk.
I work for a large company and carry out the in house PAT testing. We have recently reviewed our risk assessments and decided all fixed appliances will be tested by a qualified electrician during the periodic inspection regime.
You do not need to be qualified only competent in such. I strongly recomend getting a qualified person to carry out the testing on fixed appliances.
Graeme

Re: Fixed Appliances

Postby Amy Lyons » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi grantsonuk

There is an increased level of competency required for the testing of fixed appliances, like you said, due to having to disconnect from mains and reconnect. You could look at doing a course in safe isolation. Although this alone would not prove competency, along with experience it would go towards it.
Thanks and kind regards

Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer
Test & Measurement Division
Seaward Electronic
Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer

Return to Portable Appliance Testing