Sticker jockeys

PATGuard 3 Forum

Sticker jockeys

Postby grantsonuk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Ok so this week at work we have had the PAT testers doing the rounds

I casually observed then doing visual inspections on some IT equipment they were told couldn't be shut down. and were visual inspection only.

Their "visual" inspection consisted of replacing the labels with new ones. all marked up with a retest date in March 2015 & have no way of differentiating from the label between visual only and a full test.

But my main concerns id like to get opinions on are two items they failed

1 a PC on the workbench which had the top case removed as it was being worked on
2 a printer which was missing a plastic cover that clips over the power and network cables and is purely cosmetic as far as i know (HP laserjet 2300 Side panel)

Id be grateful for other peoples opinions on this before i complain to out facilities management lot

Thanks
Grant
grantsonuk

Re: Sticker jockeys

Postby Patnik » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:31 am

From your description I would not have failed either of the items though depending on circumstances I may have logged the PC as 'in-repair' and suggested retest before being put back into use. I don't see any need for the test label to differentiate between full test and visual check so long as this is clear from the test records.
Patnik

Postby Alan Freeman » Sun May 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Even the pc under repair does not have exposed 240v live wires. All pc's have a metal box which is the PSU. Mains via IEC directly into the box!

The printer sounds like a definite pass with no issues.

I always use "Visual Only" labels for them.
Alan Freeman

Postby Calmore » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:58 pm

As Alan says, PC power supplies are generally 'safe' even if used outside of a sealed PC enclosure.

However, I have come across some which have vent holes big enough to get fingers in so beware!

Just thinking aloud, with devices such as computers and servers, would it be possible to do some sort of continuity test between the case and a nearby earth, to test the integrity of the earth wire, without unplugging it?
Calmore

Postby Patnik » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:45 am

Calmore wrote:As Alan says, PC power supplies are generally 'safe' even if used outside of a sealed PC enclosure.

However, I have come across some which have vent holes big enough to get fingers in so beware!

Just thinking aloud, with devices such as computers and servers, would it be possible to do some sort of continuity test between the case and a nearby earth, to test the integrity of the earth wire, without unplugging it?

That's just what we do with equipment that can't be unplugged - an earth continuity test between the appliance case and supply earth (usually the socket fixing screw). Our written procedures allow for this and we add a note to the test record that it has undergone 'in-situ visual and earth'. You need to watch out for parallel paths though - for instance if you test a PC with the monitor still plugged in to mains then you haven't necessarily proved the PC has an earth as you maybe measuring the monitor earth via the earth of the PC/monitor data cable.

Nik
Patnik

Postby Alan Freeman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Patnik wrote:That's just what we do with equipment that can't be unplugged - an earth continuity test between the appliance case and supply earth (usually the socket fixing screw). Our written procedures allow for this and we add a note to the test record that it has undergone 'in-situ visual and earth'.
Nik

As PatNik has said, my old trusty Europa Plus has a test routine designed for just this instance.

The test requests you place the earth probe to the socket and press "Go" - then asks you to attach it to the equipment under test and press "Go" again. It compares the resultant difference.
Alan Freeman

Return to Portable Appliance Testing