Pat testing fixed

PATGuard 3 Forum

Pat testing fixed

Postby prosafe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi folks
So we are now required to test fixed equipment/ installations . My question is most pat testers aren't electricians and some haven't even completed C&G 2377 so how are they suppose to safely isolate and disconnect and mains wired or fixed appliance from fused spur or any other means? This is not taught on any pat testing course I have ever done. :o
prosafe

Re: Pat testing fixed

Postby Grizzly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:38 pm

The short answer: a tester should only be inspecting and testing appliances that they are competent to inspect and test.
If a tester is not competent to safely isolate, disconnect and reconnect appliances before and after testing, they shouldn't be doing it.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby prosafe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:30 pm

I totally agree grizzly
I have done C&G 2377 and other pat courses and been testing a long time , I do know how to isolate disconnect and test fixed appliances but no pat test course will teach you this or qualify you to do this safely yet we are all being told that they should be tested. So does that mean that only fully qualified electricians are qualified to test fixed ? And experienced pat testes are only good to test kettles toasters and such like ?
prosafe

Postby Grizzly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 am

A course such as this might provide the certification that some require to show competence in safe isolation, disconnection, etc.:

NICEIC Safe Isolation Workshop for non-electricians
http://www.niceic.com/training/electrical/safe-isolation

or maybe this one:

NICEIC Accessory Replacement Workshop
http://www.niceic.com/training/electrical/accessory-replacement
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Return to Portable Appliance Testing