Faulty plug

PATGuard 3 Forum

Faulty plug

Postby soltdog » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:28 pm

I was recently carrying out some routine PAT testing in the factory where i work and i found an interesting plug on a piece of mixing equipment. It looked normal until i unplugged it to carry out the visual test. Each of the 3 pins were the same size and their was no insulation over the base of the live and neutral pins. The next bit is even better it was obvoiously a foreign plug as all three pins were angled slightly different. It meant that the plug could be plugged into it's socket anyone of 3 ways meaning you could powerup the earth as live. The plug had no fuse in it.

It has now been replaced but on investigation it was found to be from China. We have informed the supplier who say this ill not happen again. It just shows the importance of the visual check.

I will try and get a picture on here when i can.

Andy
soltdog

Re: Faulty plug

Postby stu at ats » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:59 am

The IET recently covered this subject (counterfeit plugs and charges) see link below.

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/index.cfm
stu at ats

Postby soltdog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 pm

It's an interesting read and amazing how much fake stuff their is. You would never have found this plug without opening another panel on the machine. The lads were working on the machine and i noticed it on the way past as the panel was open. It was never on the wiring diagrams that we had and it looked perfectly normal at first. I just decided to see what it was for as the machine was isolated. I just found it interesting how you could put it in any one of 3 ways.
soltdog

Postby soltdog » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:59 pm

I thought I had seen the last of the dodgy Chinese plugs here. This time the plug was taped on stopping you from putting it in a different position.

Our onsite electricians have replaced the entire cable run and plug but it is scary how dangerous foreign equipment can be. It just goes to show how vital the visual inspection is.
soltdog

Return to Portable Appliance Testing