Fixed appliances

PATGuard 3 Forum

Fixed appliances

Postby Graeme » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:21 am

What is classed as a fixed appliance, and what is not?. My question is that simple.
I have read these forums in detail, but am none the wiser. Everyone seems to have a slightly different idea on the topic.
Graeme

Re: Fixed appliances

Postby safe + sound » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Graeme, the Code of Practice defines fixed equipment as "Equipment designed to be fastened to a support or otherwise secured in a specific location."
In section 5.5 it gives examples: central heating boiler, hand drier, fixed air conditioning unit, bathroom heater, electric towel rail, immersion heater, luminaire & water boiler and explains that fixed equipment can also be moveable or portable (or handheld) when connected to the fixed installation via a fused connection unit for security purposes, common in areas used by the public, e.g. hotels & changing rooms. So appliances such as hair driers, kettles, mini bars, lamps & clock radios.

So, in my view any appliance that is permanently connected to the fixed installation is tested as a Fixed Appliance, with the necessary safe isolation process to access the fixed wiring connections, but the frequency of inspection and test needs to take account of the fact that the appliance itself could be moveable, portable or hand-held.
safe + sound

Postby Graeme » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for that, safe + sound.
It looks like all appliances are to fall into FAT. I do wonder about boilers, air con units etc. They have their own testing regulations, which are superior to the FAT we would carry out
Graeme

Postby chrisjacob » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:56 am

Fixed appliances are the most popular type of orthodontic appliance. It consist of both metal and ceramic, and it is the most commonly used appliances. They are also known as “train track braces”. People wearing fixed orthodontic appliances should pay special attention to their oral hygiene to reduce the chance of developing tooth decay.

Return to Portable Appliance Testing