Public Liability insurance

PATGuard 3 Forum

Public Liability insurance

Postby prosafe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi Guys

Time to renew insurance again was with direct line last year costing £108 for 2 million. On looking at the small print seems the dont cover you for any works on computers ! had onother few quotes who also exclude liability for computer repairs. I have tested thousands of pc s and touch wood never damaged any yet but would quite like to be insured should i damage one! please can anyone suggest who they use and cost?
Thanks again
prosafe

Re: Public Liability insurance

Postby exe-pat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Prosafe,

Sorry you haven't had any replies yet so I thought I'd let you know how the insurance works for me.

I have General (Public & Products Liability) Insurance with £5m cover which costs me about £75 per year. This covers my legal liability for injury and/or loss of damage to property etc occurring from my business.

In addition I have £100k worth of Professional Indemnity at a further £168 per year. This covers any possible negligence which is what I might be guilty of if I get something wrong or give questionable advice to a customer or damage any of his property.

Others testers who I have talked to don't bother with this (more expensive) aspect of cover but in my business where I often work with landlords of rented accommodation they sometimes ask for advice on their responsibilities as a "duty holder" and that is why I have decided to include the additional cover.

I also think that now the 4th Ed CoP weighs more heavily on Risk Assessment, testers are bound to become more involved with advising customers; and quite rightly too. We know what needs to be done to keep users safe and often our customers don't.

My insurance is provided by a company called Markel (UK) Ltd

Hope that helps . . . . . .
exe-pat

Postby remedy234 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am

My PL cover is £130 a year, this includes indemnity insurance and upto £1k tool theft
remedy234

Postby Clocktower » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 am

Hi remedy234, Can you tell us who is your Insurance company as our insurance is coming up for renewal.
Clocktower

Return to Portable Appliance Testing