Privately owned equipment in rented accommodation

PATGuard 3 Forum

Privately owned equipment in rented accommodation

Postby exe-pat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I carry out testing in holiday rental accommodation such as chalets, lodges and cottages etc. This is fairly straight forward but (as required in the IET CoP) initial testing frequency has always been more rigorous for equipment that is used by the general public.

I am hoping to include some residential rentals in my work and wonder what members think of how privately owned equipment should be treated. I have seen (but not under test conditions) electric heaters, for example, that I would not deem safe but duty holders, or their agents, have not wanted it tested as they did not provide the equipment.

Of course the inventory and/or equipment list would identify the landlord's kit and no doubt the landlord would deny any knowledge of the dodgy equipment. That, of course, doesn't lead to a safe environment.

I wonder what the outcome would be should a piece of equipment like this cause injury or a fire or worse.

Am I barking up a wrong tree here ? What does anyone think ?

Re: Privately owned equipment in rented accommodation

Postby Alan Freeman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:26 pm

PAT is only applicable to businesses - not domestic accomodation.

The business is the landlords equipment and needs PAT.

The tennants equipment is domestic and does not need PAT.

I would imagine the landlord has insurance to cover fire etc caused by the tennant.
Alan Freeman

Return to Portable Appliance Testing