fixed appliance testing

PATGuard 3 Forum

fixed appliance testing

Postby s2675827133 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 pm

can anyone fill me on with what are the new regs on portable appliance testing on fixed appliances like hand dryers and appliances connected to switched spurs,a customer asked me today .
s2675827133

Re: fixed appliance testing

Postby Paul - Cotswold PAT » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 am

My understanding is that you need the necessary training (and qualification) in safe isolation, to isolate the appliance and carry out a full pat test. This means tracing the supply circuit to the comsumer board, isolating and 'locking off' the circuit to prevent someone else switching it back on again.
The spur is dismantled for testing, then the supply reinstated. Obviously its likely other appliances/sockets will be on the same circuit and that will cause some disruption when you switch of the supply. There will also be some disruption as you try to work out which circuit the appliance is on if the consumer board is not adequately marked for which circuit is which.
All in all a real pain, that can take a lot of time and you need to consider what fee you will charge for the work.
Hope that helps?
Paul
Cotswold PAT
Paul - Cotswold PAT

Postby s2675827133 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks Paul for your comments,i have been asked a couple of time this week about F A T (FIXED APPLIANCE TESTING),sounds as you say a bit of a long process as you say need to take allot into consideration when costing,also if the appliance is being used at the time of you testing that area,you are going to have to come back each time this happens,what are the average prices being asked to carry out F A T ,would you know,or any one reading this ?.
s2675827133

Postby Paul - Cotswold PAT » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Not too sure, so far I've avoided them. On a recent seminar someone spoke of charges ranging from £10-£20 per test. Given the amount of time (and hassle) taken that seems cheap, but then again my clients would baulk at paying anything extra over my normal charges.
Anyone on here doing these tests with a better idea of what to charge???
Paul - Cotswold PAT

Return to Portable Appliance Testing