Safety First BattPat Tester

PATGuard 3 Forum

Safety First BattPat Tester

Postby Paul - Cotswold PAT » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi all,
I have been testing at a 2nd hand electrical shop but they have now decided to do it themselves 'in house'. The guy has been given 3 hours training and a Safety First BattPat battery only tester. I use a Europa Plus and thought it likely that the tolerance on the BattPat would fail items with long leads etc.
However, I found that the tester even on normal setting (IE Not on Long Lead setting) was passing the earth continuity on standing lights etc without problem. The Europa will fail them and I need to enter cable details to run the test again. When I looked up the BattPat specifications I was amazed to see the tolerance given, which is incredibly generous.
My point/question is that I fail items like Kettles because of poor earth continuity, but this tester would pass them no problem. That surely can't be right can it? As a professional tester I fail an item as unsafe, yet someone with 3 hours training and this dodgy looking bit of kit will be passing them and selling them on to the public. The BattPat seems to be readily available to buy, and on the likes of Amazon gets good reviews, I'm guessing from people/users who don't know better.
Any thoughts anyone?
Paul - Cotswold PAT

Re: Safety First BattPat Tester

Postby Alan Freeman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 pm

The COP is quite clear that continuity should be better than 0.1 Ohm + cable. That is what the Europa is set to, so you fail away!!

I would not trust anyone with only 3 hours training - although you don't say what his background is. I certainly would not run with the BattPat.
Alan Freeman

Re: Safety First BattPat Tester

Postby Paul - Cotswold PAT » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Alan,

Yes, 0.1 Ohm + cable, but standard setting on this thing is to pass if better than 0.25 Ohm. This they say is for "Normal lead up to 10m". In my view that is dangerously generous for an item like a kettle for instance.

I just don't get how this thing can be sold. I also run with a Kewtech KT72, but that at least gives a reading so I can assess the true resistance result and decide if it passes the 0.1 Ohm + cable test.

Paul
Cotswold PAT
Paul - Cotswold PAT

Return to Portable Appliance Testing