Testing yearly

PATGuard 3 Forum

Testing yearly

Postby s2675827133 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Am I the first one on the forum to say my mind on the 4th edition new rules,I am not going to let this put me on the unemployment pile,if a customer wants me to come in once a year to test the equipment I will do it,I know it will probably upset a few people ,but I refuse to be put out of business by the new rules,its probably what a lot of people on this forum are thinking .

Re: Testing yearly

Postby Patnik » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 am

To my knowledge there never has been any requirement to test yearly and to tell a customer that they must do so would be dishonest. That said if the customer requires yearly testing, due to risk assessment or insurance requirements maybe, then that's what should be done. I test certain higher risk stuff yearly and some stuff 6 monthly.

Postby moonraker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 am

Remember the 4t Edition Code of Practice is a 'GUIDANCE' document and not a legal one - the retest period must be down to the Duty Holder to decide.
As a PAT tester, you have a responsibility to advise on frequency of testing based upon either historic evidence from previous test results that would suggest either increasing, decreasing or leaving the re-test period for an appliance, or from the Table in section 7, which gives an INITIAL retest for the type of appliance.
After performing your risk assessments or PAT testing, you present your evidence to the Duty Holder for them to make a decision on the re-test period, so that THEY have the final decision on the retest not you.
This is why the code states NOT to put in the retest date on the PAT label - the records and appliance listing held by the Duty Holder will dictate this.
However, there will be customers who will want their PAT testing done every 12-months or annually. That is their decision and if that's what they want to do, then go with it. Just get then to sign an agreement to do this or ask them to put it in writing, then you are covered.
Same as if they still want the retest or next test date put on the label - its the Duty Holders decision and get them to agree, in writing.

Postby remedy234 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:41 pm

In my opinion the code of practice is for the best part, a bit of a joke. Shoot me down, doesnt bother me. Its a money making scam that gets updated far too regular leaving the old ones useless.

Postby Duff1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 pm

There is some good points made but I would like to emphasise an important issue and where I think the 4th Edition is simply wrong and in danger of putting lives at risk!
It has always been the case that test intervals should be based upon a Risk Assessment process of some kind. This edition has just tried to spell that out more clearly. That being the case then, why have they totally reversed the policy on displaying a retest date?
If you are setting test periods item by item then how does anybody know what interval has been decided upon? Therefore how does anybody know if a particular item is in or out of its valid test period? Surely, as with all older editions, you display the retest date or the test date and test interval on the label. If you are not going to do that what is the point of a label at all? You may as well just fix a one off permanent barcode id label and leave it at that. The duty holder knows all and the rest nothing!?
To spell it out - THE USER NEEDS TO KNOW IF AN ITEM IS LIKELY TO BE SAFE - that's the point of doing it isn't it?
Duff 1

Return to Portable Appliance Testing