4th Edition

PATGuard 3 Forum

4th Edition

Postby Inspexx » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:06 pm

The 4th Edition is in print and available.

Any comments anybody?

(Jim, I thought you were going to give us a heads up on this)
Inspexx

Re: 4th Edition

Postby Patnik » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 am

Only just got mine and not had sufficient insomnia to read it all yet but my first impression is that it takes yet another step away from the realities of PAT.

Not much in there to help me - do I have to continue testing laptop chargers without a class 2 mark as if they are class 1 despite most not having any accessible earth?

Plenty to hinder and ignore - is our duty holder really going to be able to tell me which of our 27,000 plus appliances and leads need checking and where I'll find them if we stop putting a 'do not use after' date on the test labels?

Can I have my fifty quid back please?

;)
Patnik

Postby safe + sound » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 pm

I understand the need to control of the 'label everything every year' brigade but the emphasis on duty holder risk assessment may well frighten off the average small businessman/woman, not encourage them. I wonder how the IET are going to 'spread the word' through the business community?

A question to Seaward: can we expect mods to firmware and Elite 2 relecting the changes?
safe + sound

Postby Amy Lyons » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Hello, Thanks for your comments. It is always interesting to hear the thoughts of those out in the field.
In answer to your questions, all of our current downloadable testers have label options which do not include Next Test Date, although we are working to offer a firmware update including more label options that comply. We are also working on new products, both hardware and software, which will assist with risk based testing. Please look out for these becoming available in the new year.

Seaward are running seminars on the changes to the Code of Practice at various locations throughout December and January.

Click here to register

If you have any further questions or comments regarding the 4th edition please use this thread and we will do our best to offer guidance.
Thanks and kind regards

Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer
Test & Measurement Division
Seaward Electronic
Amy Lyons
Applications Engineer

Postby safe + sound » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am

Thank you for that information Amy. It will be interesting to see what new products appear. I'm hoping there will be a seminar in the Bristol/Newport area in the new year.
safe + sound

Postby Gary Aspinall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Hello,

Due to popular demand we've added some new dates and locations.

safe + sound, I think the nearest one to you is Basingstoke, I'll let you know if we run any closer.

Booked dates:

Tues 4th Dec 2012 - South Mimms
Weds 5th Dec 2012 - Hounslow
Thurs 6th Dec 2012 - Nottingham (West)
Weds 12th Dec 2012 - Bradford (South)
Thurs 13th Dec 2012 - Manchester Trafford Centre
Tues 8th Jan 2013 - Glasgow
Thurs 10th Jan 2013 - Newcastle
Tues 22nd Jan 2013 - Crawley
Wed 23rd Jan 2013 - Basingstoke

Don't worry if these dates don't fit into your schedule, simply visit the page and click "future dates" and we'll notify you of future workshops.

Click here to register for the Code of Practice workshops
Gary Aspinall
Site Admin

Postby PATconstructive » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Amy Lyons wrote:In answer to your questions, all of our current downloadable testers have label options which do not include Next Test Date, although we are working to offer a firmware update including more label options that comply.

Hi Amy,

I am using the Seaward Supernova Elite and Supernova Plus testers in conjunction with the Seaward/Kroy KP-3000 series printers. I cannot work out from current setup/configuration menu's how to find the option where it would not include the next test date. Can you advise how to do this please?
PATconstructive

Postby Terry » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 pm

I have been to a seminar and the risk assessment indicated in the 4Th edition may be a good tool to justify test frequency but it does not give any methodology.

The Five step risk assessment described on the HSE site is a common format for highlighting risks and risk mitigation (and ticking boxes) but does not give any ranking or reason for test frequency for PAT testing items.

Does anyone know how this is done?
Terry

Postby Terry » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Terry wrote:I have been to a seminar and the risk assessment indicated in the 4Th edition may be a good tool to justify test frequency but it does not give any methodology.

The Five step risk assessment described on the HSE site is a common format for highlighting risks and risk mitigation (and ticking boxes) but does not give any ranking or reason for test frequency for PAT testing items.

Does anyone know how this is done?

I haven't got the answer either.

Come on someone must know at Seaward, you are producing a machine that does this. Would be good to understand the logic behind this???

Hare is an example

This is a simple calculation to give an estimate of the level of risk of items of
electrical equipment.
Start with a BASE RISK of 0 POINTS then add:
• 2 points if the item is used in a wet or corrosive environment OR uses water or a
corrosive substance in its operation. (e.g. Kettle)
• 2 points if it has a flexible supply cord that is subject to flexing OR that is subject to
harsh treatment.
• 1 point if it has a heating element OR 240V electric motor.

If the sum is 2 points or more it is GROUP A, High Risk
If the sum is 1 point it is GROUP B, Medium Risk
If the sum is 0 points it is GROUP C, Low Risk

No account is taken for how much use an item gets.
No frequency is attributed to a group.

Not much better then.
Last edited by Terry on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry

Postby honeyfree » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 pm

I have been to a seminar and the risk assessment indicated in the 4Th edition may be a good tool to justify test frequency but it does not give any methodology.
"Honey"
honeyfree

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing