PrimeTest250 - IEC/Ext Lead Test - Why are you OPEN/failing?

PATGuard 3 Forum

Re: PrimeTest250 - IEC/Ext Lead Test - Why are you OPEN/fail

Postby Grizzly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:55 am

verstapp wrote:Perhaps its because my tester doesn't have a 'special mains cable socket' or even a 'special mains lead' but only the plain ordinary ones supplied

Now, when you say this, do you mean you were trying to use the 13A plug to IEC C13 lead to supply mains power to the PT300, via the IEC C14 inlet?
If that's the case, you're onto a non-starter.
The IEC inlet is only used for testing mains leads/extensions with the earth bond, insulation resistance and polarity tests.
It certainly won't provide power into the PT300 for any of the powered tests (touch current, PE current, RCD & loop test).
The 'special mains socket' is shown as reference 7 on figure 2, page 3 of the PT300 manual.
You should have a corresponding power lead which fits into this connector. If you don't, then all the powered tests are out of your grasp until you source a replacement lead.
Here's one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seaward-Primetest-Power-Lead-Primetest-200-210-220-250-300-350-Pat-Testers-/280917441553#ht_500wt_1180
or I'm sure Seaward could supply one.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby ringer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 am

'Incoming mains fault' means you need to have your tester plugged in to the mains because the tester needs mains power to perform a particular test. What is a Powerboard? Is it an extension lead? If so, I do not understand why the tester would need mains power to test it. What tests are you doing?
ringer

Postby verstapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 am

What's a 13A plug? We keep our fuses in fuseboxes here in OZ, not in our plugs. :)
The end of my PT300 looks like fig.2, p3, but it wasn't designated as a 'special mains socket'. Wasn't designated as anything at all... They could really do with someone who knows how to write documentation...
I have the Seaward-supplied 'special lead', called a 'plain ordinary [reddish, shortish] IEC lead' here in OZ.
Multiple outlet strip, looks like:
http://images.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&aq=2&oq=&rlz=1T4ADBF_enAU323AU336&q=Multiple+Outlet+Strip&biw=1012&bih=544&sei=oU1ZUNfQJeqYiAe12YEY&tbm=isch
called a powerboard in OZ.
Where in the manual does it say we need mains power to test a powerboard?
And why would i need mains for that test when i didn't need it for the previous 100-odd?
verstapp.
verstapp

Postby Grizzly » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:50 am

verstapp wrote:The end of my PT300 looks like fig.2, p3, but it wasn't designated as a 'special mains socket'. Wasn't designated as anything at all...

Well, it's called the 'Mains Inlet', as opposed to the IEC connector, which is called the 'IEC Inlet'...

They could really do with someone who knows how to write documentation...

No argument there.

I have the Seaward-supplied 'special lead', called a 'plain ordinary [reddish, shortish] IEC lead' here in OZ.

And you should also have a lead that looks like the one shown in my Ebay link above (albeit with an Oz plug on it!) that fits into the 'Mains Inlet'.

Where in the manual does it say we need mains power to test a powerboard?
And why would i need mains for that test when i didn't need it for the previous 100-odd?

It doesn't and you shouldn't.
However, you were the one who mentioned that you were getting an 'incoming mains fault' message.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby verstapp » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:08 am

Don't blame me. :)
I was only quoting what my PT300 said...
Thanks, Grizzly.
verstapp.
verstapp

Postby moonraker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 am

I have checked this out on a number of testers and find that sometimes the short RED IEC test cable does not connect fully or push in quite far enough into the IEC socket - this can produce the OPEN/fail indication.

I can repeat this fault by pulling out the IEC cable slightly.

I would suggest that we will need to ensure/check the test cables are located correctly if we experience this indication.
moonraker

Postby Jay » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:13 pm

ringer wrote:Have exactly the same issue with PT350. We have two of them. Were on a job and my colleague failed it. I retested and it passed. Later on retested and it failed. Reading this thread now realise that when it was failing the mains lead was plugged in and when it was passing the mains lead was not plugged in, or the socket was not switched on.

Back at base make the following observations (with one particular 4Gx10M extension lead)

Testing extension leads with mains lead in and socket switched on:
Cont = 0.18ohm
IR = 5.4mohm
Wiring = L/N open

Testing extension leads with mains lead NOT in (or not powered)
Cont = 0.17ohm
IR = >199Mohm
Wiring = OK

Another 2Gx5M extension lead

Testing extension leads with mains lead in and socket switched on:
Cont = 0.09ohm
IR = 5.3mohm
Wiring = OK

Testing extension leads with mains lead NOT in (or not powered)
Cont = 0.09ohm
IR = >199Mohm
Wiring = OK

So perhaps it is only longer extension leads which exhibit the L/N open when the mains lead is in and powered

Can anyone else corroborate this experience, and are there any answers from Seward about this phenonemon?

Yes! I'm seeing exactly the same thing. To successfully test a 10m or longer extension cable i've found you need to turn off the power just before the Wiring test starts or it will fail. The irriating thing is that for a 10m or longer cable you need to have the power connected. Seems like a horrible firmware bug.

Jay.
Jay

Postby silverpen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi, I'm new here. Look forward to chatting to you all..
silverpen

Previous

Return to Portable Appliance Testing