PT300 Short Circuit / Open Circuit

PATGuard 3 Forum

PT300 Short Circuit / Open Circuit

Postby MikeHosted » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm

I have been batch testing several hundred IEC leads and many are failing with either the l or LN being open or even short. It seems to have been a problem since new but getting worse I have cleaned both inputs in tester. There seems to be no parameters one can set for this test even when manually testing. Is this a calibration problem I need to send away to get remadied or is there a fix.
MikeHosted

Re: PT300 Short Circuit / Open Circuit

Postby Alan Freeman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:38 pm

I can't answer the question as to why the leads are failing. What I can say is that there are no settings for this test.

The test checks the Live and Neutral are the correct way round, and that there is no short circuit/open circuit. It is a straight Pass/Fail test, not a variable result with a cut off point.

Open circuit is quite often the fuse has blown - although it could also be a wire off.

There are only 4 possible results of this test. Good, Reversed L/N, Short and Open.

Have you checked the leads which fail to prove that they are not in fact failures?? The safest to start with would be one which is open. Does this power up an appliance??

Does a lead which fails for either fault always return the same fault - even if other leads are tested in-between??

If a large percentage pass with no problems, I would certainly start looking at the leads, not the tester.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Alan Freeman

Return to Portable Appliance Testing