class II

PATGuard 3 Forum

class II

Postby andye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi I am looking for some clarification on class II equipment when testing say a convector heater that has a partly metal frame you clip on your earth probe to the metal to ensure there is no leakeage and I get that but what are your thoughts with regards to say a standard lamp or say a all plastic hoover is it worth doing a class II test when there is nothing to reference to what would your procedure be.
andye

Re: class II

Postby andye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Yep thanks for that but the nubb of my question is is it worth doing a Class II tester on a plastic hoover when there is nothing to reference to
andye

Postby Alan Freeman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:43 pm

The training I took suggested rubbing the earth clip over the plastic to ensure it was not compromised by oil/dirt/moisture.
Alan Freeman

Postby Grizzly » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 am

The IEE CoP states:

When testing insulation resistance on a Class II appliance the test probe should be connected to any metal parts or suspect joints in the enclosure where conductive material may have accumulated. This may require multiple tests.
Chapter 15.5, page 75

So if you have an 'insulation-encased Class II' appliance (as defined on page 56), then you need to use your judgement as to wether there are any 'suspect joints' that require testing.
If there there aren't any, I personally would not bother with the test, as the results would not be meaningful.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby andye » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks Grizzly thats what I thought but just could not get a satisfactory answer plus people saying just plug it in and push the button did not help I am an electrician to trade (32 years) doing electrical repairs for letting agents who are now asking about PAT testing and I just wanted to get this clarified as my brain was saying this cannot work
andye

Return to Portable Appliance Testing