Primetest 300 PAT Tester Questions

PATGuard 3 Forum

Primetest 300 PAT Tester Questions

Postby Kevx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am

Hi,

I'm fairly new to PAT testing but have recently bought a Primetest 300 from eBay in order to carry out PAT testing at work. I have completed most of the testing already with this unit. I am however unclear about a few points and maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer my questions.

I have read extensively before carrying out PAT testing that testing IT equipment needs and extra low Earth test in order not to damage critical internal components. On the data sheet for my unit it states 200+/- mA for the tests so as to not damage components. I don't want to be chucking 25 amp threw anything IT related.

I've selected the IT test from the menus and nowhere inside these menus does it allow me to check what mA i'm sending into the IT equipment. I guess my question is, will it be safe to test IT equipment with the IT setting on my machine?

I'm also trying to update the firmware on the machine to 3.46. This has presented me a few problems. I've got a Belkin Bluetooth dongle which came with the sale of this item and i've installed the dongle and all appears to be working correctly. I've also set my Primetest 300 up to link to my laptop, making sure I have the same Bluetooth ID for both dongle and my Primetest.

When I come to connect the Primetest 300 to my laptop to upload the firmware file I press upload from PC in the menu on the Primetest and my laptop recognises that a device is wanting to pair with it. I click the balloon at the bottom right in Windows 7 to allow this connection and nothing happens. Also on the Primetest 300 it says "Searching" and does nothing else.

After reading quite a few posts on this forum i'm at a loss as to what i'm doing wrong. Any advice?

The final question is based on the PAT Guard Pro software I got when purchasing my unit on eBay. The gentleman I bought it off has included the serial key with the software, but when I install the software it asks for both the serial key and an Unlock code which I don't appear to have. Is there anyway around this matter?

Many thanks for your time and patience in reading this long post. I hope some of you can help me.

/Kevin
Kevx

Re: Primetest 300 PAT Tester Questions

Postby Grizzly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm

I can answer your first question:

As with all the other PrimeTest models, the 300 is only able to do a 200mA earth continuity test, as should be apparent from the relevent section of the user manual.
There's no danger of 'chucking 25A through' anything, as the tester simply can't do it.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Kevx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Grizzly wrote:I can answer your first question:

As with all the other PrimeTest models, the 300 is only able to do a 200mA earth continuity test, as should be apparent from the relevent section of the user manual.
There's no danger of 'chucking 25A through' anything, as the tester simply can't do it.

Many thanks for that Grizzly. Makes me wonder though. There is both a class 1 test and an IT class 1 test. If what you say is true, if both tests only put 200 mA through the probe what is the difference in the two test?

Many thanks for your answer though, certainly eases my mind knowing that.

/Kevin
Kevx

Postby Grizzly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:31 pm

If you go into the Configuration facility, and then Edit Test Sequence (p27 onwards in the manual), you should be able to investigate the pre-configured test sequences, and thus see what the difference is between them.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Kevx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Many thanks Grizzly for your time.

I'm still a bit stuck with the firmware update and the Pat Guard Pro software is there anyone from Seaward's that has a clue how to solve my issues regarding those two matters?
Kevx

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Kevin

The test current on the PT300 is fixed at 200mA and cannot be increased. You cannot accidently output a high test current.

Do you have a copy of the Bluetooth quich reference guide that comes with the PT300? This solves most problems - I think it can be downloaded from our website.

A firmware update is carried out with the PT300 booted up in update mode - you hold down the "U" key and then press and hold the on/off key until the unit powers up. Full step by step instructions on how to update the firmware are included in the zip file that is downloaded from our website.

When installing PATGuard Pro, the unlock code is generated by our license server. You need to be connected to the internet during the installation.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby wyoung » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi, just wondering if you would know what the latest firmware update for the primetest 300 is? Your download page has 3.46 but we had one of our testers repaired about 18months ago and it has 3.52 installed? Is this correct? If so where can I download it from. Also does the Australian model use the same firmware as UK?
wyoung

Return to Portable Appliance Testing