PATGuard 3 Forum

Postby bros00 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 pm

i have just done a pat on a wash machine the leakage test came back as failed with 0.85ma wat do you think in wrong with this

steve b

Re: hi

Postby PATconstructive » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:17 am

There may be nothing wrong with it. I would either check the IEE CoP page 76/77 and make my own mind up or contact the manufacturers technical support and ask their advice about testing their equipment and result expectations.

Postby Grizzly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 am

In reality, any test other than the earth continuity is pretty pointless for appliances like washing machines.
Even the IR test, to a certain extent.
So many circuits and parts get switched in and out during the washing machine's cycle (pumps, heaters, drum motor, etc.), you're never going to catch them all, unless your test sequence duration is the same as the wash cycle duration!
Added to that, you may get decreased resistance/increased leakage from things like damp ceramics in the heating element.
If it were an appliance such as a cooker, the standard advice would be to turn the cooker on, and leave it to heat up for a while before perfoming the electrical tests, so the moisture can be driven out.
This is obviously not an option with a washing machine.
Certainly speak to the manufacturers, but you may well be on a hiding to nothing here.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02

Postby Jim Wallace » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Steve

I suspect it has "failed" because you have used the incorrect test sequence. Most, if not all, washing machines are "moveable" Class I appliances and the leakage limit for such an appliance is 3.5mA.

As Grizzly points out, testing the insulation (using an insulation resistance or leakage test) on a washing machine can give variable results depending the operation on the machine. Different parts are switched in at different times and this can significantly affect the measurements. The IET Code of Practice however states that the "protective conductor or touch current should be measured within 5s after the application of the test voltage."
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Return to Portable Appliance Testing