PrimeTest250 - IEC/Ext Lead Test - Why are you OPEN/failing?

PATGuard 3 Forum

PrimeTest250 - IEC/Ext Lead Test - Why are you OPEN/failing?

Postby Setup » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 am

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone else with a Seaward PrimeTest 250 is having the same issue as me.

Recently purchased the aforementioned unit; familiarising myself with it, Class one & Class two tests seem fine, took a minute to figure out that I had to unplug the special mains lead before I could carry out IEC/Extension lead tests, but that's what happens when you read the manual and don't look at the picture on page 11. Muppet.

So this week I began PATing with earnest in our workshop, all tools and appliances A* pass. 70+ appliances - who knew it took so long!

However here's the thing - today I started on extension leads and each one is failing with an 'OPEN' fault. Hmmmm, three leads in and I'm getting suspicious. Opening up either end of the lead yields no problems, testing with a small multimeter/continuity tester indicates there's no problem, all connections/continuities are okay.

Aha I say, the included Seaward little red lead must be duff. So I test that on its own. 'OPEN' fault. Gotcha.
But then I test the little devil with my multimeter/continuity tester, and that says it's okay. And so does a second multimeter.
And in the interests of completeness I also grab another short IEC lead and test that as well - 'OPEN' 'FAIL'.

photo.jpg
photo.jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 15266 times

So I think my PrimeTest is up the swanny. But what do you think? Have I missed something? Is portable appliance testing not my calling?
Should I box her up and send her home?

Greatly appreciate any feedback, no matter how vague or mildly derogatory.

Ta, Sarah
Setup

Re: PrimeTest250 - IEC/Ext Lead Test - Why are you OPEN/fail

Postby Alan Freeman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Led

I think Sarah said she had already tested a second IEC lead - and it failed as well.

Sarah

It sure is lookning like your tester has gone south.

I am trying to think what you have achieved, and what fails - so just to re cap.

Testing class 1 and class 2 kit - fine

Testing 13A ext leads - fail
Testing your short 13A to IEC - fail
Testing another 13A to IEC - fail

It is looking like the IEC socket on your tester is faulty. As an idiots guide, if you power your tester up from a 13A socket, do you get the display of the LN, LE, NE voltages?? You should get something like

LN 235v
LE 230v
NE 5v

If you do get any display, this would indicate the IEC lead and socket are actually good . It is then down to the internals of the tester.
Alan Freeman

Postby jonathan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Alan Freeman wrote:It is looking like the IEC socket on your tester is faulty. As an idiots guide, if you power your tester up from a 13A socket, do you get the display of the LN, LE, NE voltages?? You should get something like

LN 235v
LE 230v
NE 5v

If you do get any display, this would indicate the IEC lead and socket are actually good . It is then down to the internals of the tester.

Firstly, I assume you are pressing the CLI button for IEC lead testing.

I am not aware that you can (or should ever) attempt to power up the PrimeTest 250 with the normal IEC socket into the mains supply, surely this will not break the unit but it should also not work as a mains test, as that should come via the special mains cable socket?

When I use my PrimeTest 250 to test an IEC lead, the unit must be disconnected from the mains and the IEC cable firmly plugged in to the IEC socket and the main socket on the front of the unit, on my unit the IEC socket was a little stiff to begin with and required a firm push to make a good connection. You should also make sure when testing a 4-way extension that it is switched on if it has a switch (not relevant to IEC leads though).

One thing I have come across is a fuse that was not seated correctly in an IEC lead plug, this resulted in an O/C reading; pinching the fuse holder arms then re-inserting the fuse solved this problem.

I have always used the short black lead that came with my PT250 when testing extensions, not sure if this is just a bonus item that came with my particular kit as I bought from an authorised Seaward dealer and not Seaward directly, but have never actually tested it or the red lead using the PT250.

You can prove that an IEC cable is good by testing a device using it in the normal way, then you will know for sure that it is the IEC socket on your tester.

I have tested over 100 IEC leads with my PT250 so far, only had one O/C fail which was a loose fuse holder, and have only done 1.5 sites out of 3. For computers there are potentially two IEC leads plus one 4-way extension per desk! Also, I have changed probably over 40 10A fuses for 5A for the low current computer equipment they supply. Why on earth they are sold with 10A fuses I don't know, when clearly their primary use will be for computer kit which typically has a rating of 3A or less.
jonathan

Postby Alan Freeman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:35 pm

jonathan wrote: I am not aware that you can (or should ever) attempt to power up the PrimeTest 250 with the normal IEC socket into the mains supply, surely this will not break the unit but it should also not work as a mains test, as that should come via the special mains cable socket?

Jonathon

Suggest you read page 15 of the PT 250 manual section 3.1

PT250 P15.JPG
PT250 P15.JPG (44.16 KiB) Viewed 15234 times
Alan Freeman

Postby Grizzly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm

No Alan, you need to read the PT250 manual properly.
The 'mains inlet socket' mentioned on page 15 is not the same as the 'IEC Test Connection' socket.
See pages 7 & 13 for clarification.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Alan Freeman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Grizzly

I stand corrected.
Alan Freeman

Postby Duff1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am

We've had similar experiences with our PT350's - extensions reels that we've tested and passed before, are in use and working fine, fail the test with this same apparent fault. We plug them back into the mains with an item of equipment all works fine. We plug in a socket tester passes fine. Wiring test on 350's - L - N open?

I spent 5mins having a play with both a PT300 and a PT350 - found with the 350's if you have the propriatry mains lead plugged in the test will fail - remove it and the test passes. On the PT300 it passes lead or not.
Duff 1
Duff1

Postby MikeHosted » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:50 am

I am having same problem with PT300 I am batch testing several hundred IEC leads and many are failing with either the l or LN being open or even somtimes a short. It seems to have been a problem since new but getting worse I have cleaned both inputs in tester. There seems to be no parameters one can set for this test even when manually testing.
MikeHosted

Postby ringer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Have exactly the same issue with PT350. We have two of them. Were on a job and my colleague failed it. I retested and it passed. Later on retested and it failed. Reading this thread now realise that when it was failing the mains lead was plugged in and when it was passing the mains lead was not plugged in, or the socket was not switched on.

Back at base make the following observations (with one particular 4Gx10M extension lead)

Testing extension leads with mains lead in and socket switched on:
Cont = 0.18ohm
IR = 5.4mohm
Wiring = L/N open

Testing extension leads with mains lead NOT in (or not powered)
Cont = 0.17ohm
IR = >199Mohm
Wiring = OK

Another 2Gx5M extension lead

Testing extension leads with mains lead in and socket switched on:
Cont = 0.09ohm
IR = 5.3mohm
Wiring = OK

Testing extension leads with mains lead NOT in (or not powered)
Cont = 0.09ohm
IR = >199Mohm
Wiring = OK

So perhaps it is only longer extension leads which exhibit the L/N open when the mains lead is in and powered

Can anyone else corroborate this experience, and are there any answers from Seward about this phenonemon?
ringer

Postby verstapp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 am

Continuing this woebegone topic - my PT300 got an 'incoming mains fault' message today while testing a surge-protected powerboard. Any ideas what this message actually means, as the documentation is terminally terse on the subject.
I tried the 'checking a mains outlet' routine described above for a PT250, but didn't get the results described - the display didn't change at all. Perhaps its because my tester doesn't have a 'special mains cable socket' or even a 'special mains lead' but only the plain ordinary ones supplied
verstapp.
verstapp

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing