Time and date error

PATGuard 3 Forum

Re: Time and date error

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 pm

The PrimeTest 300 and 350 have an onboard real time clock. This has its own independent power source - a lithium button cell - so that the time and date are not lost when the main batteries are discharged or removed from the unit.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby Alan Freeman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:00 am

Jim Wallace wrote:The PrimeTest 300 and 350 have an onboard real time clock. This has its own independent power source - a lithium button cell - so that the time and date are not lost when the main batteries are discharged or removed from the unit.

I'm sure this is true of most Seaward testers. I know my Europa Plus has the same battery. When I first got mine (second hand) the time reset after about 10 minutes of powering down.

A design suggestion here. Why can this not be made with a battery cover and NOT soldered in,which makes the battery so it can be changed by the user without the need to open the machine - thereby voiding the calibration??
Alan Freeman

Postby Jim Wallace » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Alan

It is true for all Seaward testers with memory and indeed all PAT testers with memory/time date function. The batteries last for many years means that and I cant think of any products that have user access to the real time clock battery.
For the battery to become a user serviceable part the enclosure would need to be modified to allow access - a change to the injection mould tooling and not a simple modification. Having said all that, I will bear your comment/suggestion in mind - definitely food for thought.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby Duff1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Err Jim I know of several things not least every PC in the country has just such a user replacable battery!
Duff 1
Duff1

Postby Alan Freeman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Jim Wallace wrote:Hi Alan

It is true for all Seaward testers with memory and indeed all PAT testers with memory/time date function. The batteries last for many years means that and I cant think of any products that have user access to the real time clock battery.
For the battery to become a user serviceable part the enclosure would need to be modified to allow access - a change to the injection mould tooling and not a simple modification. Having said all that, I will bear your comment/suggestion in mind - definitely food for thought.

The other possible option would be to fit rechargeable cells which are charged whenever the unit is mains powered. Preferably to last several years off charge.

Alan
Alan Freeman

Return to Portable Appliance Testing