IEC plug has internal wires visible in strain relief

PATGuard 3 Forum

IEC plug has internal wires visible in strain relief

Postby jonathan » Mon May 14, 2012 8:03 pm

While performing a visual check on a decent quality IEC flex with moulded plug ends I noticed that I could see the coloured wires through part of the strain relief at the IEC plug end, was I right to fail the lead?
jonathan

Re: IEC plug has internal wires visible in strain relief

Postby remedy234 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:03 pm

I wouldnt, i see it quite often
remedy234

Postby safe + sound » Tue May 15, 2012 2:41 pm

If the inner cores are visible because the outer sheath is not securely held by the strain relief you are right to fail it. Try to rotate/pull the sheath in the plug moulding, if there is any movement I would fail it. CoP page 125 paragraph 4.
safe + sound

Postby jonathan » Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Thank you for your advice. I was in two minds when looking at it, but figured it's not worth the risk that someone could snag it sharply. With those moulded plugs you have to rely on the manufacturing process that they are secured properly inside, a visible manufacturing defect like this could indicate a hidden weakness or defect inside the IEC plug; the outer sheath was just inside the strain relief, a bit too close for comfort in my opinion. Other identical cables had the outer sheath all the way inside the strain relief, no coloured wires visible.
jonathan

Postby Grizzly » Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 pm

remedy234 wrote:I wouldnt, i see it quite often

Then you should be failing each and every one!
Definitely a visual inspection fail.
I'm quite disappointed that you think it isn't.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby remedy234 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 am

Grizzly wrote:
remedy234 wrote:I wouldnt, i see it quite often

Then you should be failing each and every one!
Definitely a visual inspection fail.
I'm quite disappointed that you think it isn't.

Once again thats NAPIT for you, we were told that as long as the coloured wires werent touchable then to pass them. Quite possibly the worst course ive ever been on it seems.
remedy234

Postby Jim Wallace » Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Jonathan

The question has already been answered by safe + sound and grizzly so I wont repeat the answer...

My general advise would be that if something doesn't look right then it should set off the little alarm bell always be in investigated. Mains plugs and leads are of particular concern at the moment and a number of folks have posted messages and images on the forum: plugs where the earth pin is sleeved, moulded plug tops that come apart in your hands, counterfeit fuses to name a few.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby jonathan » Mon May 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I am also tempted to fail all of the cheap and nasty looking leads that tend to come with the PC cases we buy - they contain non-standard coloured wires (brown, blue, black) and thin cores. They are nowhere near the quality of the .75 or 1.00mm2 we have already installed around the office, so from a purely practical point of view they are potentially costing us more in electricity to use as their resistance rating is three times that of a higher quality flex. Are these kind of cables even legal to use in the UK if the colours are not correct?
jonathan

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon May 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi Jonathan

All products placed on the market within the EU must be CE marked. To be CE marked the product must meet the requirements of all relevent EU Directives. There is a product standard for mains cables but compliance with standards is not mandatory.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Return to Portable Appliance Testing