Mutiple Polarity Tests on Europa Plus

PATGuard 3 Forum

Mutiple Polarity Tests on Europa Plus

Postby kryten » Tue May 01, 2012 5:55 pm

I have to test a large number of 230V IEC cables terminated with 2 or 3 C13 sockets, but I am unable to edit the test sequence to allow an unlimited (UL) number of polarity tests. If I instead carry out a manual test on the cable with (say 3) earth bonding and polarity tests, the saved result shows 3 earth bond tests but only one polarity test. Has anyone got any ideas on how to overcome this problem?
kryten

Re: Mutiple Polarity Tests on Europa Plus

Postby Alan Freeman » Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Kryten

I have been discussing just this case with Richard from Seaward.

The thinking when this facility was first added is that the polarity on a multi-way extension block is only lkely to be wrong at the plug end. This is because the inards of the extension blocks are pre formed on manufacture.

I have a case where I would want to test, as you do, a multi socket end of cable. I also wanted this test to do earth1, insulation 1 polarity 1, then earth 2, insulation 2, polarity 2 etc.

Currently the tests do all the earth tests, then all the insulation then the one polarity. This means you have to move the connection twice through!! :(

I even submitted a psudo code to show what I was thinking.

The last I heard was that the firmware for the Europa Plus has been settled for some time now, and it is unlkely to be modified again in the near future. I even have three or four other suggestions of enhancements to the firmware. The more others, the merrier and perhaps Seaward might go for a revision!! :)

Alan
Alan Freeman

Postby kryten » Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 am

Hello Alan,

It does seem a bit stupid that you can't set multiple polarity tests.

Some of the multi-way mains extensions used in the IT industry have hand-wired internals, so a polarity test is absolutely essential on each outlet. What we are having to do for these is use the PAT tester for the first outlet polarity and then plug the extension into the mains and use a circuit tester for the remaining ones. We then have to manually add a note to the test record - not ideal! LISTEN UP SEAWARD
kryten

Postby kryten » Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 pm

I discovered today that if you do a manual test and run multiple polarity tests, if any of them fail the overall test result is a fail. The test results show only the last polarity result and this produces a record showing an overall fail but with all tests showing as passed.
kryten

Postby Alan Freeman » Wed May 02, 2012 7:56 pm

I will list here the "wants" I have with the system. Anyone add to this which will then (hopefully) prompt a new firmware issue.

Multi way extensions as above.
Failure menu goes directly to "Fail appliance" - I would want restart test as the default as the main fail is not having a good earth bond lead position.
When "logged in" to the machine, you stay logged in until power down - saves entering password at every menu change.
"Re-set to factory" does NOT affect calibrated date clock.
Extra menu item on "View record" to delete that item. Delete single needs you to find the record number then change menu position and enter the remembered number - and then there is no display of which record you have selected before delete - more miss than hit!!?
Calculate lead resistance as an option BEFORE running any earth test - save having to fail one first!!

Any more ideas??

Alan
Alan Freeman

Postby kryten » Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 am

Here's my two-penny worth:

Individual passwords for each user - like on PrimeTest 300; would stop someone "impersonating" you.
The ability to add new test sequences rather than sacrifice existing ones.
A seperate command to restore factory test sequences.
A print label button on the record viewing page.
kryten

Postby Jim Wallace » Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Alan/Kryten

Thanks for the suggestions. I know that Richard looked at this and he is correct in terms of his comments on firmware updates. Having said that, there are clearly various ideas for improvement and I will speak with one of our developers regarding the possibility of a firmware update.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby kryten » Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 am

Hello Jim

I just tested a load of 4-way mains extensions and mult-headed IEC C13 cables and it reminded me what a pain it is to test them on the Europa Plus.

Any news on that F/W upgrade to include multiple polarity tests.
kryten

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Kryten

I'll follow this up this week when I'm back in the office.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby kryten » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 am

Hello Jim,

Any progress on this one?
kryten

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing