primetest 300 mains lead 'incoming mains fault'

PATGuard 3 Forum

primetest 300 mains lead 'incoming mains fault'

Postby billy » Fri May 04, 2012 9:16 am

just bought a pt 300 and want to know why i get 'no incoming mains' when testing. thought it just works off the battery. am i missing something or will i need to use the mains lead for certain tests.
thanks
billy

Re: primetest 300 mains lead 'incoming mains fault'

Postby Grizzly » Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Are you using the special mains lead that is supplied, rather than plugging an IEC lead into the IEC socket?
The IEC socket is will not accept mains power into the tester.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby billy » Sat May 05, 2012 10:04 am

led wrote:Mains power is required for PE conductor current and touch current tests. You should have a mains lead if it is a new kit.

hi, if i test a kettle e.g. do i need to use the mains lead or not, i just want to test it on battery. what test should i use.
billy

Postby billy » Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 am

led wrote:Mains power is required for PE conductor current and touch current tests. You should have a mains lead if it is a new kit.

hi , what test should i use to test e.g. a kettle without using the mains lead.
thanks for your response.
bill
billy

Postby Grizzly » Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 am

Have a good read of the manual, and see if you understand the tests the unit performs. Then you will have probably answered the questions...
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby billy » Sat May 05, 2012 1:58 pm

led wrote:Attach the EUT (Kettle) to the tester.
Attach the Black crocodile lead to the element. (You may need to break through the scale so check this if a failure is recorded on earth continuity test) Turn the appliance on
That is all you need to do to test using battery power however you can only conduct Earth Continuity and Insulation Resistance Tests.
If you decide that you also wish to perform a PE Conductor Current Test, you will need to attach the PT300 to a power supply by way of the special power lead supplied for this purpose.
Regards
led

thanks for that. does that mean that I will have to edit the configuration for the test because if i select move/stationary
class 1the ,incoming mains fault' comes up
billy

Postby billy » Sat May 05, 2012 2:00 pm

led wrote:Attach the EUT (Kettle) to the tester.
Attach the Black crocodile lead to the element. (You may need to break through the scale so check this if a failure is recorded on earth continuity test) Turn the appliance on
That is all you need to do to test using battery power however you can only conduct Earth Continuity and Insulation Resistance Tests.
If you decide that you also wish to perform a PE Conductor Current Test, you will need to attach the PT300 to a power supply by way of the special power lead supplied for this purpose.
Regards
led

thanks.
billy

Postby Jim Wallace » Sun May 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Billy

As led points out, the PT300 has factory programmed tests that consist of an earth continuity and insulation resistance test. A kettle is not classed as a moveable/stationary appliance. You only need a mains connection to the tester when measuring protective conductor current or touch current or when measuring RCD trip time. The factory sequences are shown in the manual. If you don't have one you can download a copy from our website. You can also download a free Guide to PAT Testing from our website.

I'd also recommend a good read fo the IET Code of Practise. TIme spent on getting up to speed on some of the fundamentals would be time well spent. If your having difficulties we will provide further assistance.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Return to Portable Appliance Testing