Nightmare jobs, what's your worst one so far?

PATGuard 3 Forum

Re: Nightmare jobs, what's your worst one so far?

Postby grantsonuk » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:59 am

2 Gang extension socket visually inspected ad labelled

I cant be the only one that sees an issue here lol

19012011046.jpg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 11411 times

Postby LeeTurtle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:15 pm

It's great to see that PAT Inspectors really are worth there salt and rectifying such dangerous practices

led wrote:but based on previous experience don’t anticipate the company acting on my recommendations

Unfortunately, I think we've all had one of these customers, they only see the short term costs in rectifying and not the long term costs (electrocution/fire/legal etc etc).
When I report and give evidence of my findings at the end, I ask them to sign to say they have been told of these issues and must act on them within a reasonable time, if not immediately (depending on severity of issue) this mainly prompts them into action.

Hi ansellrk I've had a few of these before now, surely you can just test it as a class II :lol: (JOKE!!)
Keep the photos coming, I think it’s good to share our experiences and learn off each other.

This was taken in an Indian restaurant by a mate of mine, very inventive!

Postby PATman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Not really a 'Nightmare Job'...just a customer who can't count. Went to a Job which I had allowed 3 days for his estimate of 550 tests....six days later finished with 1330 tests. Very next day went to another customer whose estimate was 400 and did 403 tests!

I suppose we never really know what to expect do we....

Postby Alan Freeman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:58 pm

I was called to install a dishwasher which had been donated to the local vicar. I saw the plug, and only waiting to grab my phone to take this, CUT IT OFF. Sorry for the quality of the picture. Didn't want the vicar to see me take it.

Note Neutral Earth swapped over and no cord grip. What you can't tell from this is the covre was held on with sellotape!! The cord exited the plug as shown - on the side!
DSC00031.JPG (184.42 KiB) Viewed 11338 times
Alan Freeman

cable tray

Postby adanjell999 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:24 am

Cable baskets can offer your business a variety of different benefits. If you want to lift up your data cable products and protect them from damage, invest in the right wiring trays and learn how to install them right.cable tray

cable ramps

Postby harrysin47 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:42 am

Split wire loom are used in wide-range applications.This cable organizer is very efficient if there’s an instance where you have to add another wire subsequently, you can just easily slip it into the split wire loom without having to remove the whole cable or wire bundles.
cord covers

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Some scary stuff guys.

I have some images that were sent to me - I'll see if I can dig them out. Most of them are "I wonder what I can use in place of a fuse," my personal favourite being a philips screwdriver bit, though the cut down bolts did show a degree of engineering prowess as they'd used 1/4" bolts - must have measured the fuse diameter and thought "I'm not going to use just any old piece of metal, I'm going to make a dimensionally accurate 'fuse.'

Another interesting tale was the 'engineer' who had managed to overcome what I'm sure he considered to be the shortcomings of our mains distribution system that would not allow him to run a 25A jacuzzi bath from a standard wall outlet - he removed the fuse and soldered the live wire directly to the live pin in a 13A plug. Certainly avoided "nuisance" tripping - until the PAT man took a pair of cutters and a "Do not use" label to it.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby jags » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 am

Can beat them, testing at an agricultural university they requested their heating lamps in the piggery be tested, not just the ones in the maintenance shed. The quarentine protocols aside - the smell from being inside the piggery holding pens and the fact of the amonioa build up on the plugs and leads required extensive cleaning and repair made for an interesting fortnight. The lights were 2.3m off the ground which we indicated was close to being outside the scope of requirements, but they insisted. Finally finished and equipment all scrubbed clean and sanitised, they then informed us that they didn't authorise them for testing and were only paying for authorised work!! The site contact at the piggery didn't have a work order for the pens. Lesson learned and they eventually paid, but the piggery now requires regular testing as they were worried the lights might electrocute their valuable research. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be thorough!!

Postby miff » Mon May 07, 2012 11:56 am

I have found lots of new IT equipment being supplied with plugs that are up to no standard at all. All have BS marked even the fuse has the right BS on but falls apart on pulling. The plug has the earth pin half sleeved and yes this is on earthed equipment! Take a look :roll:

Anyone else found similar? I had to change over 20 mains leads.
IMG00087-20120327-1043.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 9230 times

Postby safe + sound » Mon May 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I've had 5 of these from 3 customers over the last 3 weeks. They all have the name 'Linetek BS-1363/ALP-60L' on the underside with the Kitemark and 'Approved by BSI Lic. KM000' on the top. Two were laptop charger leads with C5 connectors, one a video camera charger with C7 connector and two with active PA speakers with C13 connectors.

The cable used with these plugs is also rubbish. Though marked 0.75mm2 csa, when opened up 2 were 0.5mm2 and one was 0.1mm2!!!!!!!!!!!. The latter also had non standard inner core insulation colours.

Just as worrying, the UK seller of the PA speakers told me these leads were fine because the appliance was double insulated. :shock:
safe + sound

Return to Portable Appliance Testing