Testing Domestic Cookers

PATGuard 3 Forum

Testing Domestic Cookers

Postby safe + sound » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:38 pm

A question for all that test domestic lets.

Are you testing electric cookers connected by twin & earth cable? If so, what tests do you carry out and do you disconnect the twin & earth from the connection unit? This seems to be a grey area in the Code of Practise. All views welcome.
safe + sound

Re: Testing Domestic Cookers

Postby Alan Freeman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:46 pm

In my view there is only one question.

Is it "Portable". By portable, I read "has it got a plug on it?"

In the case of a domestic cooker - No, therefore not Portable - but a fixed item. Not in the remit of Portable Appliance Testing!
Alan Freeman

Postby Grizzly » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Alan Freeman wrote:In my view there is only one question.

Is it "Portable". By portable, I read "has it got a plug on it?"

In the case of a domestic cooker - No, therefore not Portable - but a fixed item. Not in the remit of Portable Appliance Testing!

No, not in the remit of Portable Appliance Testing, but definitely in the remit of In-service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment!
Totally in the scope of the IEE Code of Practice.

The question isn't 'should it be inspected & tested?' (obviously it should), but rather 'is the tester competent to carry out inspection and testing on this appliance?'.
Not everyone who does 'PAT testing' would be considered competent to do this.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Alan Freeman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Which is exactly what I said above. Plug or No plug.

Plug = portable = in scope for
PAT test
No plug = fixed = not in scope!!
Alan Freeman

Postby Grizzly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:03 am

Not in your scope, Alan, but not necessarily out of other's scope.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Alan Freeman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 am

Grizzly

And those who CAN test are not ONLY PAT testers. They are "qualified electricians" and are testing as such. They are not at that point PAT testing are they??

safe + sound and I are PAT inspectors and that is also the title of the forum area we are talking in!! If we were in the forum area "Installation Testing" then the answer would be slightly different.

I still say No plug = out of scope for PAT TESTING!
Alan Freeman

Postby Grizzly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am

Alan Freeman wrote:Grizzly

And those who CAN test are not ONLY PAT testers. They are "qualified electricians" and are testing as such. They are not at that point PAT testing are they??

safe + sound and I are PAT inspectors and that is also the title of the forum area we are talking in!! If we were in the forum area "Installation Testing" then the answer would be slightly different.

I still say No plug = out of scope for PAT TESTING!

No, this is not 'Installation testing'! That is a different thing.
This is electrical appliance testing, as covered in the IEE CoP.
The fact that this forum is called 'Portable Appliance Testing' is as misleading as you using the term.
Just because you are not competent to offer it as part of your 'PAT' service doesn't mean that others aren't either.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Jim Wallace » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Gents

The Seaward forum is here to allow us to help each other and promote healthy debate and discussion but lets not get personal. I take the point about calling the forum "Portable Appliance Testing" and we can easily change it if that would help clarity?

The term PAT is widely use to refer to in-service inspection and testing since Seaward first coined the term by introducing a tester called "PAT500H" way back in the days of old.

The scope of IEE Code of Practise covers electrical equipment, whether connected via a plug and socket or permanently connect to the supply, powered from a single or polyphase supply and includes 110V, 230V and 415V equipment. A 230V, permanently connected cooker definately falls within the scope of the Code of Practise but is perhaps a little vague as to how it should be inspected and tested. The CoP does not recomend that equipment is disconnected from the supply for the purposes of testing. With the appropriate equipment is it possibe to check the earth continuity and insulation resistance.

As an aside - one of the reasons that the scope of the CoP was broaden was that in some cases where not being inspected or tested because the person performing inservice inspection and testing believed the item to be permanently connected and therefore part of the fixed installation and the person performing a period inspection of the wiring thought "thats an appliance...." The guidance may not be perfect but the intention is to try and improve the level of electrical safety - as someone said in an earlier post we need to apply some "common sense"
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby safe + sound » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 am

Thank you to all for your posts, its clear that opinions vary considerably.
On the assumpition that the CoP would be seen as 'best practice' I wonder how any of us would defend a decision to ignore or only visually inspect a permanently connected appliance to the HSE or court?
safe + sound

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Something to address in the next editon of the CoP..........
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing