Class 1 Equipment

PATGuard 3 Forum

Re: Class 1 Equipment

Postby Grizzly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:04 am

As PATconstructive says above, as pretty much all of these fans are designed to have their guard and blades easily removed for cleaning by the user/owner, then that is what any tester should do as well, if they can't get a decent earth bond reading from elsewhere.
I've never not been able to get a decent reading from the motor shaft, which is always exposed when the blades are removed, and I have never bothered messing around with 'probe extensions'.

Obviously, none of the above applies to Class II fans!
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby LeeTurtle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm not saying I haven't...
But when you look into detail of PUWER 98 and Guarding.
It would be unlikely that the fan would be operated without its guard.
The guard is classed as a fixed guard "if the guard can be opened or removed, this must only be possible with the aid of a tool" hence the little nut & screw!
If the guard is missing its clearly a failure.
If it is to be maintained (cleaned) by a 'competent person', that competent person should know to unplug/isolate it first before removing any guards, reg7 specific risks including reg 8 & 9 (information, instruction, training).
Even under PUWER 98 Inspections reg 6 & Maintenance reg 5 the fan would be isolated first.
So for me, removing guards (not in all circumstances) would be defying the object and a fortuitous result would be recorded (again, dependent upon the criteria, age, condition ete etc).
IF it's class 1 with a poor result of course :D
LeeTurtle

Postby Alan Freeman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 am

Ok. nuff said about dis-assembly.

We seem to be getting bogged down on class 1 FANS. There is loads of Class 1 no earth equipment out there where it is not possible to get to an earth without a tool.

So to go on from that point. My Europa Plus will not proceed to any other test on "Class 1" settings until earth bond has passed.......So. What next??

Do I perform a "Class 2" test - duly noting this is class 1 with no accessable earth? Seems the logical route.
Alan Freeman

Postby Jim Wallace » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 pm

I would agree with the suggestion made by Led - a Class II sequence will perform the required insulation test but the test record would show a Class I appliance tested using a Class II sequence. Creating the sequence that led suggests means the test record shows why an earth continuity test was not carried out on a Class I appliance - much better for traceability.

Regards
Jim
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Previous

Return to Portable Appliance Testing