Unable to detect comms port

PATGuard 3 Forum

Unable to detect comms port

Postby ClaytonL » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:53 am

Im using PatGuard Elite 2.1 for the first time.
When I try to download I get an error "unable to detect an available comms port"
Im using a late model laptop with bluetooth.
From what I have read, there seems to be no mention in any documentation about what to do in this situation.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
ClaytonL

Re: Unable to detect comms port

Postby Richard Williams » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Clayton

PATGuard can only see what the PC presents to it. Basically PATGuard is poling the PC to give it permission to access a Com Port but either the are none available because of restrictions or they are being used.

Many things could cause this. I have had a look and its seems it could be a firewall issue, it could be that the com port is faulty, it could be in use internally somehow.

However, one thing to try would be to double click on the Bluetooth Icon in the icon tray at the bottom corner to access 'Bluetooth Settings' click the 'Com Ports' and click 'Add'.

Select 'Incoming' and then 'ok'

This should give you a com port that PATGuard recognizes.

Let me know if this works.
Richard Williams

Postby remedy234 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:07 am

I have a similar problem but no bluetooth on my laptop. Im trying to download using R232 TO USB adapter but getting the same error message, any ideas?
remedy234

Postby Jim Wallace » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi Remedy

Few things to check first. When the RS232/USB adaptor connected to a USB port you should be able to see this as a "USB Serial Port"port in the list of ports under windows Device Manager.

The USB Serial Port should automatically appear when you plug the adaptor into a USB port. If you have Windows Device Manager open you should be able to see the USB Serial port appear on the list / disappear from the list when the USB adaptor is plugged in /removed. Note the number next to it e.g. (COM4). This port should appear on the list of available ports when using PATGuard.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Return to Portable Appliance Testing