IEC test question from a newbie

PATGuard 3 Forum

IEC test question from a newbie

Postby baldbazza » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I tend to believe that the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked.

I've just taken on responsibility for PAT testing and we've bought a new, calibrated, Seaward Supernova Elite to do this.

I've been practising carrying out PAT tests by testing half a dozen IEC leads but every one has failed.

Both ends of each lead were plugged into the tester and the IEC Lead (3m) automatic test selected (each IEC lead was less than 3m but this is the shortest test length available and I assumed it was correct in the absence of any guidance from the manual).

Visual checks, earth bond and insulation test were fine in every case but the polarity check failed with "SHORT" every time. I've tested with old (working) leads, brand new leads and the short IEC lead that came with the tester but every one failed. I'm assuming that "SHORT" means an electrical short rather than referring to length of lead being shorter than the test selected (again, the manual was not a lot of use here).

Now, it might be that every lead I've tested so far is indeed faulty but I'm beginning to suspect that either I've missed something obvious (wouldn't be surprised!) or we should get the tester checked out.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers
Barry
baldbazza

Re: IEC test question from a newbie

Postby Grizzly » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:14 am

'SHORT' does indeed mean an electrical short.

Seeing as you've been so comprehensive testing it with lots of different leads, the evidence does tend to point towards an issue with the Supernova.
I'd get it checked if I were you.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Re: IEC test question from a newbie

Postby Richard Williams » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi

I agree with Grizzly, if EVERY single lead that you have tested including old leads and even the one we supply has failed I would either speak to the company you purchased or you can call our service department on 01915878739.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused, feel free to call me to discuss.
Richard Williams

Return to Portable Appliance Testing