Nightmare jobs, what's your worst one so far?

PATGuard 3 Forum

Re: Nightmare jobs, what's your worst one so far?

Postby LeeTurtle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:14 am

Hey Grizzly

Would of loved a pic of the home made jobby. It would fit in nicely with my gallery of doom!
It must be me that gets all the lucky failures, at least one exceptional one a month!
LeeTurtle

Postby Grizzly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Far too long ago, I'm afraid. Can't even remember if anyone actually took a photo, to be honest.
You'll just have to use your imagination! :)
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby LeeTurtle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Pick a lead, any lead! :shock: Image
LeeTurtle

Postby LeeTurtle » Tue May 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi led

I find that in some pubs & greasy spoons! also the plug top gets stuck into the socket because its lathered up in grease or beer dregs...nice :?
LeeTurtle

Postby LeeTurtle » Tue May 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Yeah, But the best ones are where they run extension leads through 2-3 stud walls, which is always fun !
LeeTurtle

Postby LeeTurtle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:02 pm

L :shock: k at what I found today, behind a beer chiller this was putting some insulation tape to good use! Unfortunatlly the picture never came out on what was underneath, and no there was no connector block :?

P.S it's not my pass lable in the background!

LeeTurtle

Postby LeeTurtle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:08 pm

I think this one is ok? well it is touching!

LeeTurtle

Postby LeeTurtle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:16 pm

I was told that something smelt from this 110v 4 way extension. ;)

LeeTurtle

Postby grantsonuk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Just afew recent events for the collection.

I was at a customer site installing a server and happened across one of the super cheap 4 gang extension sockets which had previously had a storage heater plugged into it. the casing round the live & neutral pins had melted away on 2 of the sockets and a nearby storage heater had evidence of scorching to the pins.

I wasn't there to test the site but thought i should at least do the responsible thing of notify the office manager and strongly advise them not to use it to which they responded "Yeah I know"

I got sent on a call out to look at a pc that was having intermittent power issues, when i arrived it seemed fine so I took it back to the workshop to try and replicate the fault after 3 days and no faults found i took it back to the office plugged it in & of course no power. I traced the cable back to a surge protector where the cable was haging out the end of the bar with a goof 10-15mm of the 3 cores visable, I unplugged it and found that it had been PAT tested (and passed) less than 2 weeks before. I got another lead plugged it back into the wall socket to find that the socket moved and started buzzing/cracking.

And finally

I bought a 2 Gang extension cable for my tumble dryer. I took it home plugged it in the dryer powered up for a split second then went off. I unplugged the Dryer and got a small jolt from the plug. I tried the dryer in another extension and it worked so i turned my attention to the 2Gang. connecting the socket tester i found that one of the sockets was missing the earth & the other showed L/N reversed

I dug out the receipt and headed off to take it back. I went and grabbed another cable from the shelf and joined the queue, upon reaching the counter and asking to swap one for the other (even though they are the same) and without asking why the somewhat abrasive woman behind the counter simply snapped at me that I cant return it without the packaging.

"OK WELL! this one has just electrocuted me, ive tested it with a socket tester its missing the earth wire and the live/neutral wires are somehow reversed in one socket but not the other, this is potentially lethal & also doesnt work"

"Oh are they the same alright then"
grantsonuk

Postby ansellrk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Found this in a youth club in Liverpool... it was on a Ice Hockey table.

See if you can spot the obvious mistakes... :o

Copy-20110921-00103.jpg
Copy-20110921-00103.jpg (102.63 KiB) Viewed 10442 times
ansellrk

PreviousNext

Return to Portable Appliance Testing