Insulation Vs Protective/touch current.

PATGuard 3 Forum

Insulation Vs Protective/touch current.

Postby SteveFlambert » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:15 pm

I have recently started PAT testing having passed the City and Guilds and have a Seaward primetest 100 and a 350. I have had to test a photographic processing machine and it failed using our primetest 100 and the 350 with a reading of 3.61mA for insulation test. We then got an outside PAT tester to check my findings, he passed it and found he was using a Primetest 50 which only measures insulation resistance. I am a bit concerned that if the protective conductor failed that the touch current could be excessive as mentioned in Paul Cooks "PAT Code Revised" article in "WIRING MATTERS" Spring 2002. This machine is used in a Further Education College. Any info would be most welcome and informative. Thanks
SteveFlambert

Re: Insulation Vs Protective/touch current.

Postby PATconstructive » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 am

I would contact the manufacturer of the equipment and discuss your findings with their technical support. Maybe Code of Practice page 77 note 2 under table 15.3 is relevant?
PATconstructive

Re: Insulation Vs Protective/touch current.

Postby SteveFlambert » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:55 am

Thank you very much for your reply. The code of practice page 77 does help as the unit has a heater but only 4122W so I still cannot justify the unit's 3.61mA. The manufacturer has not made the unit for some years now but has given me the PAT testing company that test other colleges so hopefully they can tell me what is effectively across the mains! Thanks again for you reply
SteveFlambert

Return to Portable Appliance Testing