Bluetooth data transfer

PATGuard 3 Forum

Bluetooth data transfer

Postby BWE Solutions » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:10 pm

I am trying to transfer data from a PrimeTest 350 to a brand new Dell inspiron laptop. The Laptop has found the tester and logged it as a device and the tester has found the laptop and logged it also. It will not however transfer data; I get an Error message: "Unable to detect an available comms port". Then when I go into "Bluetooth Device Operations and Settings" I get an Error Message: "No available services or remote Confidevice connection failure. Please check remote device connection and make sure it supports required services." Then if I go into "Configure device" and then click "COM Ports" Tab, The box is blank; if I then click the "Add..." button that box is blank too. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Yours Bruce.
BWE Solutions

Re: Bluetooth data transfer

Postby Gary Aspinall » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi Bruce,

Below is a comment which you posted in a new thread, I think it is apart of this question:

I've also tried this:

To change which COM port your computer uses to communicate with Bluetooth enabled devices
Click to open Control Panel.

In the Control Panel search box, type Bluetooth, and then click Change Bluetooth settings.

In the Bluetooth Settings dialog box, click the COM Ports tab, select a port, and then click OK.

If no COM port is listed, then your Bluetooth enabled device doesn't use a COM port. Click Add if you want to add a COM port for your device to use.

To no avail.

Thanks in advance.

I'll speak to our support department and get back to you.
Gary Aspinall
Site Admin

Postby Richard Williams » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi Bruce

There is no standard for Bluetooth. This means that any manufacturer (like Dell) can use any bluetooth module that they see fit. This can cause compatibility issues.

This issue is notorious for laptops. There is bluetooth dongle that can be purchased from our sales department that has been tested with our range of bluetooth compatible units, up to and including Windows 7.

If you contact the Sales dept on 01915878708 and quote for Part No 339A912. This will solve your compatibility issue.
Richard Williams

Postby jonathan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am having the same problem. I have also come to the theory that it is my Bluetooth hardware in the computer that does not support what the 350 requires, as I have successfully performed Bluetooth data download to a different computer using a Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle.

Is there any chance of finding out what service the PT350 uses? I know very little about Bluetooth, but am keen to know if it's down to the Bluetooth adapter in my computer or the software.

EDIT: I looked into Bluetooth a bit more, and I suspect the PT350 uses SPP - Serial Port Profile, which is basically a wireless emulation of RS232 (which the PT350 also has a physical port for). Now all I need to do is find out why my Bluetooth host is not working with it, I suspect SPP is not supported in my software.

Return to Portable Appliance Testing