Testing Of Generators

PATGuard 3 Forum

Testing Of Generators

Postby prosafe » Wed May 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi Folks
I have read before that generators do not require testing ? is this correct? obviously all assosiated leads appliances require testing as normal ..
prosafe

Re: Testing Of Generators

Postby owillingham » Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm no expert but my understanding is that a generator isnt a portable/moveable or stationary appliance as it isnt a current consuming device. Certainly it doesnt have a plug or lead to connect to the pat tester with anyway. It is however an alternative source under BS7671:2008 and an electrical installation certificate should be completed each time it is set up in a new area with emphasis on the earth return path (earth spike, zs and rcd times etc). This is my understanding and no doubt will come under scrutiny or critism of others but hope it helps
owillingham

Re: Testing Of Generators

Postby LeeTurtle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:44 pm

owillingham wrote:I'm no expert but my understanding is that a generator isnt a portable/moveable or stationary appliance as it isnt a current consuming device. Certainly it doesnt have a plug or lead to connect to the pat tester with anyway. It is however an alternative source under BS7671:2008 and an electrical installation certificate should be completed each time it is set up in a new area with emphasis on the earth return path (earth spike, zs and rcd times etc). This is my understanding and no doubt will come under scrutiny or critism of others but hope it helps

Yep, you’re right in my eyes. It is classed as a supply and not an current consuming appliance. There are no specific regulations for generators alone but they will still fall mainly within the Electricity At Works Regulations and PUWER,HASAW Act, MHASW regs etc ect.
There are some guidelines on the positioning of the ground spike (if fitted with one) that it should be driven no less than 1Mtr into the ground (Never seen any operator do this yet!). I've been told that putting it between the wheel and floor or in a bucket of water is good enough for an earth! :shock:
So my advice is don't PAT it but advise your customer of his/her obligations under these regs.
LeeTurtle

Return to Portable Appliance Testing