Supernova Barcode Scanner

PATGuard 3 Forum

Supernova Barcode Scanner

Postby prs999 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi

Could someone just quickly run me through how to use a barcode scanner to input appliance numbers into my supernova plus.

I have just acquired a barcode scanner and I can't get it to scan the barcodes, i'm not sure if its me or an issue with the scanner, what screen should I be on when I scan the barcode? does the bascode have to be of a certain standard?

Cheers
prs999

Re: Supernova Barcode Scanner

Postby prs999 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi

If you could scan in and email the manual that would be great

Cheers
prs999

Postby PATconstructive » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15 am

There isnt much you need to know. There was one thing which caught me out when I first started using the scanner if I plugged in the scanner Y cable in without both connectors (ie scanner and printer) plugged in then I think I remember it not working.

When it is first plugged in correctly an audible sound is heard and when you press the scan button the red LED illumination from the scanner optical port is seen,

To scan in asset ID barcodes go to new test, point scanner and press button. Also it is possible to scan in serial numbers from any products that have printed serial number barcodes such as Computers, Monitors, PSU's etc. Position cursor to a new line in notes or serial number field if you have configured that from the setup menu and again point and shoot. When the barcode has succesfully scanned you get an audible bleep.
PATconstructive

Postby electronicsparks » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm

As far as I know and have been told, this is a fault on the 5volt power supply onside the Supernova. Mine has gone twice so far. When you have the printer plugged in as well, the scanner can pick up a supply off the printer (so I have been informed). I had to pay for my repairs even though it was the first time I had used the scanner, because the unit was over 12 months old (14 months) This in my opinion was stupid because you would not use the scanner until the re-test date came up, i.e. 12months plus. I would not buy another Seaward PAT.
electronicsparks

Postby Richard Williams » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:06 pm

electronicsparks wrote:As far as I know and have been told, this is a fault on the 5volt power supply onside the Supernova. Mine has gone twice so far. When you have the printer plugged in as well, the scanner can pick up a supply off the printer (so I have been informed). I had to pay for my repairs even though it was the first time I had used the scanner, because the unit was over 12 months old (14 months) This in my opinion was stupid because you would not use the scanner until the re-test date came up, i.e. 12months plus. I would not buy another Seaward PAT.

When you say 'this is a fault on the 5 volt power supply' , what are you referring to?

Although I appreciate this fault occured with you, for which I agree shouldn't happen, I have the impression you have been told this is a generic fault. This is not this case at all.

Where did you find out / hear that this is a fault with the Supernova?

Also, could you tell me where you bought the barcode scanner from and if possible the make and model number?

Did you send the unit to us or to another repair house?

I ask because I have only seen this fault once and it was with an after market scanner that had not been tested with our units. I hope that you can provide me this information so I can continue increasing our customer service level and gain an understanding of any issues that may pop up.

I would like to understand what other issues you have come across that has prompted you to never buy Seaward again? I hope that we can address some of these issues.

Feel free to send a private message if you dont wish to 'go public' with your issues. Either way I would like to help.

Im happy to have a chat over the phone if you would prefer.
Richard Williams

Return to Portable Appliance Testing