Back in the day (we're talking 15+ yrs ago), the student union I worked at (event lighting & sound) decided to instigate a PAT regime for the whole building. We already did in-service inspection & test on the entertainments lighting and sound kit, but this was expanded to include offices, bars, catering, union shop, printers, cleaners equipment, the lot. A big, if boring, slice of work over the summer vacation for me and my mate, using a PAT1000S, and Shire Systems Safety 1st records software.
At the end of the testing, we had a massive
cardboard box full of confiscated appliances, mainly damaged extension leads, chopped-off plugs etc., plus a load of bigger fails that couldn't fit in the box. It was all kept to show to management, who were a bit sceptical of the benefits of doing (or rather paying for) the testing.
Two howlers have stayed in my mind still:
A big metal pie warming cabinet in one of the catering outlets was found to have the plug wired brown to N, blue to E and green/yellow to L (if memory serves). It still worked, but was a disaster waiting to happen. One of the union porters had changed the plug, and didn't really have the first clue what he was doing. He was bawled out by his line manager, and explicitly banned from attempting any further electrical work of any kind.
A 'home-made' 3-way extension lead was found in one of the student society offices: someone had taken a multiway cube adaptor (one of these: http://fl1.shopmania.org/files/photo-images/7940/3-way-multi-plug-13a-adaptor-fused-resilient-pa042a~7939349.jpg
), removed the pins, soldered a length of 1mm^2 T&E in their place, then terminated the other end with a standard 13A plug. Wrong in so many ways!
Ah, happy days.