Extention lead length and no RCD!!

PATGuard 3 Forum

Extention lead length and no RCD!!

Postby maguirex4 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 pm

This might be a silly question, but as I,m still new to this I,m going to ask any way.

I am testing stuff in my home to pratice, got to my 4 way 15meter extention lead (on a reel). I read up in the COP about the requirments for this lead and find that its 3 meters to long and has no RCD (csa is 1.25mm2) now as its outside the COP requirments. Does this mean that its a fail and it shouldn't be used? I know I could just go and buy an RCD!

question is if I'm testing for some one else, how do you tell them they carnt use that reel and its failed because the regs changed since they bought it and its still in an as new condition because it hardly gets used. so what do you say or do about this?

Your thoughts on this please.

Adrian
maguirex4

Re: Extention lead length and no RCD!!

Postby safe + sound » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:09 pm

If the Visual inspection, Earth Continuity and Insulation Resistance results are ok for the actual lead length I would pass it and tell the client in writing that it should only be used with 30mA RCD protection. It is possible their fixed wiring provides this without the need for an adaptor or RCD plugtop.
Neville
safe + sound

Postby Richard Williams » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 pm

maguirex4 wrote:I read up in the COP about the requirments for this lead and find that its 3 meters to long and has no RCD (csa is 1.25mm2) now as its outside the COP requirments. Does this mean that its a fail and it shouldn't be used? I know I could just go and buy an RCD!

question is if I'm testing for some one else, how do you tell them they carnt use that reel and its failed because the regs changed since they bought it and its still in an as new condition because it hardly gets used. so what do you say or do about this?

As above, you can explain to the customer that the extension lead should not be used without an RCD. I hope I'm right in thinking that the cable you are talking about is 15 metres long. (CSA 1.25mm should have a max lead length of 12 metres)

These extension leads have been designed primarily for private / home use which is why the leads are allowed to be sold. They are not specifically designed for industrial use.

I would advise that the post above is good advice. Alert the customer then, give them the report in writing so you can prove that you have advised them correctly (quoting the COP if need be).

I hope this helps.
Richard Williams

Postby maguirex4 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks guys, your advice sounds good to me and sensible, will make certain I keep a carbon note pad with me when testing.
maguirex4

Return to Portable Appliance Testing