110V Extension Reels

PATGuard 3 Forum

110V Extension Reels

Postby Derek » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi

Not too sure how to proceed with this one hope someone can help. I have a 110V extension reel. I can make the loop with it woth various adaptors

I need to do a new user test (When in auto mode as its 20M long) but I am unsure as to voltage specs.

My question is do I copy the 10 amp IEC lead and tweak it somehow, but this has been set up for a 240V sequence.

Any input on this would be greatly received. (Maybe I am thinking about the issue too much and cannot see it for looking at it)

P.S I am using the PT300

Cheers

Derek
Derek

Re: 110V Extension Reels

Postby Richard Williams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Derek

The earth limit is calculated by 0.1 ohms + R (where R is the cable resistance).

Basically you will need to work out what the CSA of the Earth Conductor is and find that resistance value.

Multiply that by the length of the lead and add 0.1ohms and this will give you the maximum resistance value for the earth conductor.

You can find this resistance value by using the limit calculator on the manual section of the PT300.

Select Earth Continuity
Then Setup
Then F3 is the Calc button.

This will allow you to put the figures in that you have e.g 2.5mm CSA and a 20m cable. It will give you the earth continuity resistance limit in the main display.

Now what I would do is build a new test sequence incorporating

Visual Test
IEC Lead Continuity (with newly calculated resistance value)
Insulation Resistance
IEC Lead Wiring (For polarity, if applicable)

This should allow you to carry out the test sucessfully.

Any problems please contact me.
Richard Williams

Postby Derek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 am

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply , I understand all of that my only concern was I did not want to damage the tester because its a 110V appliance/lead using a 240V tester.

Has the tester the inbuilt functionality to dermine the supply, my only concern is i blow a 110V appliance because I have put a 240V current throught it.

As is say I amy be looking to in depth to this, can you confirm this.

Cheers

Derek
Derek

Postby Richard Williams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 am

Hi Derek

The earth bond test on the PT300 is set at 200mA output test current, regardless of the voltage.

Therefore you should be OK.

Could you foresee any issues with your particular assets?
Richard Williams

Postby Richard Williams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 am

Hi Derek

The earth bond test on the PT300 is set at 200mA output test current, regardless of the voltage.

Therefore you should be OK.

Could you foresee any issues with your particular assets?
Richard Williams

Postby Derek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 am

Hi Richard

No not at the moment just cant see the difference between testing a 240V 10amp lead and a 110V lead.

Apart from using the adaptors of course, I am guessing there is no difference in test values ?

Cheers

Derek
Derek

Postby Richard Williams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi Derek

No both tests limits remain the same. 0.1 ohms + R. (Earth Bond of course)
Richard Williams

Postby Grizzly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Derek wrote:Thanks for the reply , I understand all of that my only concern was I did not want to damage the tester because its a 110V appliance/lead using a 240V tester.

Has the tester the inbuilt functionality to dermine the supply, my only concern is i blow a 110V appliance because I have put a 240V current throught it.

But all you're testing is an extension lead/reel, isn't it?
Your not actually going to be plugging the lead into a 110V supply during the test, nor trying to energise a 110V appliance with a 230V tester, are you?
Test the lead as Richard suggests, as you would any other extension lead or supply cord.

Now, how you test the 110V appliance that the lead will invariably be delivering power to, that's another matter...
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Grizzly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Derek wrote:No not at the moment just cant see the difference between testing a 240V 10amp lead and a 110V lead.

Apart from using the adaptors of course, I am guessing there is no difference in test values ?

Nail on the head! :)
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:55 am

Hi

Further update on the 110V extension lead !

Connected one end via the seaward 110V adaptor into the 3 pin front of tester , connected other end via an an adaptor into the IEC hence making the loop all OK so far....

Put the 15M calculations into the earthy continuity tester and tested it and it jumped in straight at >20ohms cannot understand why. Tried the IEC lead test and the tester is reading a "Live open" again not sure what this means, but upon further inspection I took the seaward 110V adaptor apart and I noticed the Live and neutral are connected to the same terminal with the live cut from the insulation. The llive is effectively a short piece of wire looped from the live into the neutral....never seen this before but I guess this is right.

Any ideas ?????

Cheers

Derek
Derek

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing