Seaward PAT 1000s testing IEC leads

PATGuard 3 Forum

Seaward PAT 1000s testing IEC leads

Postby maguirex4 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi there

I,m currently doing a self study pat course, our church has decided to pay for my course and has bought me a used Seaward PAT 1000s. On the DVD course it talks about testing extension leads and IEC leads, my problem is the DVD shows that you plug both ends of an EIC lead into the tester, But the tester only has the standard plug socket on it.

How do I run the tests for these leads, and the same goes for extension leads and we have a lot of them.

My other problem is how do I do Earth bond test currents on IT equipment at 200ma as I am unable to find a setting for this test.

By the way the choice of tester had nothing to do with me as it was purchased by our sound and electronics engineer (we have a lot of sound equipment in our church)

Any advice would be helpful (just wish they had waited till I did some research on testers first!)
Thanks
maguirex4

Re: Seaward PAT 1000s testing IEC leads

Postby Grizzly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:26 am

The PAT1000S is a very old model, and not manufactured anymore. Your sound and electronics engineer would most probably have sourced it secondhand.
As you've noticed, it will not do a low current earth bond test, only 25A or 8A. (the user manual should still be downloadable from the Seaward website).
It's 'sister' machine, the IT1000, would have been the one to get to test IT equipment, as it could perform a 0.1A (100mA) earth bond test.

Neither machine has an IEC connector on, so there are 3 options for testing leads and extensions.

1: make yourself up a 13A plug that just brings out the earth on a short flying lead (no other connections or fuse is needed), and the same again but using an IEC plug.
Plug your lead under test into the machine as normal, use the appropriate 'earth lead plug', and clip the testers earth bond lead onto the plugs flying lead. You can then do an earth bond test (and insulation test as normal). The tester obviously cannot do a polarity test, so this would need to be confirmed seperately.

2: Try and get hold of an LC1000, which is an extension lead tester for use with the PAT1000S and similar testers.

3. Try and get your money back from whoever sold the unit, and buy a modern tester that can do all the tests required! ;)

As the PAT1000S is such and old machine, I would definitely recommend that it is fully serviced and calibrated by a reputable Seaward centre before use.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby Richard Williams » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Maguire

If you email me with your details at richardw@seaward.co.uk I will forward you the user manual for the PAT1000s.

Thanks to Grizzly for a detailed answer, some good advice there!
Richard Williams

Postby maguirex4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks guys

My bigest concern is not just being unable to do the IT related stuff as we have not just our band equipment we also have a retail shop in a town center and a cafe that I will be resonsable for.

I,m assuming I could do the polarity test by sticking my probs down the end of the lead (off my multimeter) though this sounds very unprofestional and I wouldn't be surprised if not a little dagerous.
Being an Alarm engineer by trade I,m used to playing with 12 volts where all you get is an oops there goes another fuse :-)

Any way I,m looking at other testers and hoping they decide to go with something a little more up to date.

Richard thanks for the offer of a manual, we have one already!

Grizzly where can you get an LC1000 as when you google search that you get a lot of printer carts coming up.

Adrian
maguirex4

Postby Richard Williams » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Maguire

I misread the post. You need a Seaward LT1000 (the LC1000 is for a different tester) to test extension leads. Please contact 01915863511 and ask for Seaward Sales. They will be able to help you with this.
Richard Williams

Postby Grizzly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Richard Williams wrote:I misread the post. You need a Seaward LT1000 (the LC1000 is for a different tester) to test extension leads.

Ooops, sorry. My typo!

maguirex4 wrote:I,m assuming I could do the polarity test by sticking my probs down the end of the lead (off my multimeter) though this sounds very unprofestional and I wouldn't be surprised if not a little dagerous.
Being an Alarm engineer by trade I,m used to playing with 12 volts where all you get is an oops there goes another fuse :-)

There's no way you'd be able to do a polarity test on the PAT1000S like that, and it would be dangerous to try.
Certainly, use a multimeter or continuity bleeper, but all you'd need to do is bleep out L-L and N-N to confirm polarity. No need to try and connect the leads to the PAT tester.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Return to Portable Appliance Testing