Testing AC Power Adapter for laptops

PATGuard 3 Forum

Testing AC Power Adapter for laptops

Postby viper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:31 am

how do you test an ac power adapter for dell laptops as there are no class II markings,so i need to test it as class I,but i can't test as class I as there are no metal parts to test the earth, it's all plastic.it has a 3 core lead.
viper

Re: Testing AC Power Adapter for laptops

Postby HASOONUK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 pm

HI,

Testing AC power supply with the 230v/Class II for the adaptor and the lead will also need to be tested 230v/Class II also. AC supply has no earth.
HASOONUK

Postby viper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 pm

should'nt the lead be earth tested as the lead has an earth
viper

Postby safe + sound » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi Viper

The Dell laptop PSUs I test have earth continuity from the plug to the 'outer' of the DC plug. Give that a try, remembering to allow the for the additional length in the (0.1 + R) calculation. I must add that I use the 200mA soft test to avoid possible damage to the appliance.
Neville
safe + sound

Postby Jim Wallace » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Viper
You are correct in that the appliance should be treated as a Class I appliance as there is no double insulated symbol. As safe + sounds says, the exposed metal parts of the DC jack are often connected to protective earth and can be used to test earth continuity - just be careful with regards to the level of current used for the test as the connection between the DC jack and protective earth may be for functional reasons and not intended to carry high current. Use a low current ('soft test') to be on the safe side.

If there are no exposed metal parts then you can't perform an earth continuity test as it is not relevent - no exposed parts means there is nothing that can become live and be touched by the user. You should record the fact that there are no exposed metal parts and that the test cannot be perform so that in the event of an audit is it clear why there is no earth continuty record for an appliance that is no marked as double insulated.
Jim Wallace
Associate Director, Seaward Product and Technology

Postby Manxie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi,
I have approx 160 Hewlett Packard laptops I need to PAT test which in the main have not been tested before, only formal visual performed. I have found that there are eight various types of PSU associated with the laptops, some of which have earth continuity to the outer of the DC jack and other types do not. The PSU's have been tested at 200mA soft test using a Seaward Supernova and a result of 0.05ohms obtained where an earth path exists on certain types.

In order to carry out the correct test I have attempted to obtain the correct test procedure from HP (Global & UK helpdesks) but after struggling for two days by email & phone I am becoming frustrated with their 'helpdesk' who are not able to understand the question or return with proper information, even suggesting at one point they don't support Seaward software & to contact my IT dept!

Has anybody else out there tried to obtain the correct test procedure from HP or another laptop supplier and been successful? Otherwise it will have to be a note kept in the record of test saying no exposed metal parts.
Regards,
Keith.
Last edited by Manxie on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manxie

Postby safe + sound » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:24 pm

I asked Dell the same question and got nowhere. I guess the 'help desk' staff are there to advise on computing hardware & software problems and this is outside their comfort zone. No doubt someone within the company will know but how you identify them is a mystery :(
Neville
safe + sound

Postby Manxie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am

Hello,
I have received a reply from Hewlett Packard Ltd helpdesk, which details the 'In Service (PAT) Testing' method for the correct testing of the AC Adapters associated with HP Laptops/Notebooks.
The author of the guideline is Mr Peter Knight, Technical Regulations Manager UK, Hewlett-Packard Ltd., Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1HN. Tel: 01344363423, email: ukitechregs@hp.com

I asked if I could share the guideline with you all, but Peter Knight would like to keep the information controlled for the use of HP customers only, and not used to apply to other manufactures products.

You could have a word with Peter if you are involved with HP products & I'm sure he would assist, he was very helpful to me. :)

Regards,
Keith.
Manxie

Postby Grizzly » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Manxie wrote:Hello,
I asked if I could share the guideline with you all, but Peter Knight would like to keep the information controlled for the use of HP customers only, and not used to apply to other manufactures products.

Hmm, sounds a bit unhelpful, IMHO.
How many testers would be classed as 'HP customers'? Doing the testing for the HP customers, more like.
Anything like this, that is guidance by a manufacturer on an aspect of product safety, should be fully in the public domain, and readily available to view on HP's website, not rationed out as if it was some sort of industrial secret.

There, rant over! ;)
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Return to Portable Appliance Testing