PAT testing

PAT testing

Postby howardgalley » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:08 am

I was asked to test the following NEW appliance (1GPM 6w UV Ultra Violet Light Undersink Disinfection unit) This item has a metal body with a two pin plug lead only ( European plug I presume) it has no class ii symbol any where on the lead or the body of the item, therefore I presume its a class i. With not having a three pin plug and no earth pin to test etc. Is this legal in the UK ?( apparently it came with foreign instructions only)
howardgalley

Re: PAT testing

Postby Alan Freeman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Firstly, lets try to identify the plug. Is it round with the two pins at the end, and does it have a metal contact on the sides at 90 degrees from the pins??

European plug.jpg
European plug.jpg (8.36 KiB) Viewed 6377 times

If you have a multimeter, check the earth between the side connections and the metalwork. If this is low resistance then that IS the earth and it is Class 1. If this is the case, then this I would guess is a european plug which should be cut off for UK use.

The next problem is the colour code of the cable. European cable is not always standard UK colours of Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow. If this is the case, it needs REPLACING with a new lead.

You might get it right, but if the plug needs replacing in the future, someone else might get it wrong!!!
Alan Freeman

Re: PAT testing

Postby howardgalley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Alan, it is the same plug as a shaver lead, I talked to a company spokesperson who sell this item ,he admitted they normally sell it to European Countries and not to the UK. He thought it was a class two but couldn't swear to it. Would love to post a picture of it but don't how!
howardgalley

Return to Installation Testing