Apollo/PTE Overcharging Battery

PATGuard 3 Forum

Apollo/PTE Overcharging Battery

Postby southseas » Sat May 25, 2019 10:06 am

Anyone else replaced an Apollo/PTE battery lately, and then had issues with it over heating and then tripping the PTE out?

Fitted a new Seaward OEM battery two weeks ago, and three times now it's caused the tester to cut out- first time, it had that burnt fish smell that smouldering PVC gives off, think that may have just been the heat shrink casing because of the heat everything was at.

Talked to a local battery repacker, he thinks PTE might be overcharging their batteries, any thoughts?
southseas

Re: Apollo/PTE Overcharging Battery

Postby Phil Hoppe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:30 pm

Southseas..yes. I reckon you might be correct. When the PTE was first released , batteries were overheating, which was blamed on the manufacturer. Maybe its a dud batch again.
My current battery has lasted 3 years and is now starting to show signs of getting ready to 'push up the daisies'.

The batteries are pretty basic, a thermister and thermal overload...maybe they arent matched to the charge control.

I dont understand why Seaward doesnt incorporate a smart battery as the charge control in the PTE is pretty hit and miss with its random acts of charge failure (battery with the red lightning bolt).
The Zebra printer battery is still going strong and does more work than the PTE battery which goes along for the ride most of the time.
Phil Hoppe

Re: Apollo/PTE Overcharging Battery

Postby southseas » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:02 am

Three years is a good run Phil, over here most only seem to get around two years out of a PTE battery. Interestingly, after a bit of tooing and froing- local NZ Seaward agent sent me a repacked battery, and credited part of the purchase cost for a new battery. Getting them done locally for $96 NZ (plus GST) and have been happy with their performance, so hopefully Auckland version will be OK too.
southseas

Return to Portable Appliance Testing