Apollo 600 future enhancements

PATGuard 3 Forum

Apollo 600 future enhancements

Postby pat4sb » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:55 pm

I would like to suggest a new thread where users can post a wishlist of future enhancements to Apollo 500/600 Firmware. Similar to a recent post entitled Apollo 600 niggles I would like to suggest the following :

a. Power socket test : this is mentioned in the user manual, page 28 of ver 3.v3. It would be useful to view and record the mains voltage and P-N-E combinations of the site being tested.

b. The ASCII output of the records include the "Site" but not the "location" within the site.

c. Is there a possibility of manually selecting which fields appear in ASCII record output? This would solve problem b above.

d. When testing IT equipment, very often the PC or display is tested using the IEC lead, since these are actually two separate tests (pc and IEC lead), it would be useful to have another option where the Asset ID (in the PAT settings) will increment by 2 instead of 1.

I will add other suggestions in my future posts.

Regards

Charles
pat4sb

Re: Apollo 600 future enhancements

Postby southseas » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:31 pm

When testing IT equipment, very often the PC or display is tested using the IEC lead, since these are actually two separate tests (pc and IEC lead), it would be useful to have another option where the Asset ID (in the PAT settings) will increment by 2 instead of 1.

In my experience, IEC leads and the item they supply, seldom stay together, and not sure that this idea could be implemented given the way the Apollo works. But good idea for a thread raising ideas for Seaward to consider.

Mine in no particular order:

(1) A decent thermal transfer printer that can be connected by both USB and Bluetooth- Fading tags, tags that go
black, and the speed that they print off at is just BS and really lets the Apollo/PTE down, as is the issues
getting the printer to latch onto the Apollo/PTE

(2) More symbol options (), ?, _ the underscore particularly since the Apollo changes () to underscores if it
encounters them in a testfile upload

(3) When printing a danger tag (fail tag) have an option to replace the "center cable here" script with
"DO NOT USE"
southseas

Postby pat4sb » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:53 pm

I agree with you that the IEC cable and the equipment it supplies may not stay together, however this is the reason for my suggestion since each item will have its own asset ID and from records one could easily identify which IEC lead supplies which equipment and secondly whatever IEC lead is used it is known to have been tested since it will have it's unique asset ID tag. I hope I made myself clear.
pat4sb

Postby southseas » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Extra Results Search and Download features- sometimes when testing on a clients site, it's handy if you can pull up all the Failed Items for a site or location. I can do this easily on either of my SuperNovas, but not all on my PTE/Apollo 600
southseas

Postby southseas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:59 am

Relocate the fuses protecting the PTE/Apollo 600 to the battery compartment so users don't have to disembowel the wee beasts on a client's desk if it happens to pop one while testing.

If that's not possible, get a better connector for the battery, to make removing it easier
southseas

Postby southseas » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 am

An upgrade that should be pretty easy:
Rewrite firmware so that printer remains "latched" to PTE/Apollo 600, regardless of what screen you are in, or change to. Presently PTE's drop out the printer and scanner if you go from PAT screen to main screen, this is easy to do inadvertently because PET/Apollo keys stick and can be a pig to key info in with.

Hardware upgrade: A better key board, with more positive keys
southseas

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:08 pm

One thing that would be nice is if you could change the cable CSA/length details by bringing up the built in calculator before you do a test not after the test has failed. This would cut down on the amount of tests needed and most importantly battery life. Especially when doing a lot of different length extension blocks.
Ford Prefect

Postby Phil Hoppe » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Also the ability to Filter / Search for an Asset by its Asset ID in test results..really useful when needing to reprint a tag.
Also "Dont Drop the connection with Bluetooth devices when leaving the PAT testing screens...This is really annoying when having to find a test resulst and reprint a label..and wait for the printer to reconnect. then go back to PAT testing and wait for the scanner and printer to reconnect.. and find that the scanner no longer connects...
Phil Hoppe

Postby southseas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Better Probe Leads, supplied ones are fine for doing the odd bit of IT gear on a desk, but lack grunt for extended daily use tagging 100's of items per week, every week. Slightly longer, and 50% more conductor and insulation would be good.
southseas

Postby southseas » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 am

It would be nice if the "save" button in the results screen was different to the print button in the next screen, I find it a bit of a PITA when I press save, the PTE hangs and I get sucked into pressing it again and don't get a chance to enter any asset details before it goes to print.(sometimes it seems like I've pressed a bit hard and it treats it like a double press
southseas

Next

Return to Portable Appliance Testing