Source power for Seaward 3760 plus?

PATGuard 3 Forum

Source power for Seaward 3760 plus?

Postby ACDC » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:52 pm

As I'm new to PAT testing, and most of our tools and leads are on greenfield sites off the grid, I've quickly discovered that a Honda EU20i generator is no good as the power source for the leakage test on a grinder etc. I've got it sweet on a domestic GPO, but when plugged into the darling little pure-sine Honda, the tester says STOP rather than fires up the tool as it's supposed to.
I'm thinking because there's no Earth reference; but no one I rang from the Seaward distributors here could say whether a decent generator should work, as a power source, or not.
Can someone advise?
ACDC

Re: Source power for Seaward 3760 plus?

Postby ACDC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:28 am

Many thanks to Jeff Macfarlane from Repelec who suggested I use my isolation transformer between the supply and load. Seaward PAT works fine now on both an old cage generator, and a cheap "pure sine wave" 12V to 230V inverter. No extra load or Earthing required.
ACDC

Postby ACDC » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:39 am

Whoops! The isolation transformer is RCD's testing only, and as such isn't a power supply. So it let me know when it blew it's 400mA fuse this morning!
Back to the drawing board. A much bigger, heavy duty even, Isolation Transformer that can act as a power supply is what's needed.
Last edited by ACDC on Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACDC

Postby ACDC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:19 am

Jeff from Repelec kindly lent me a "heavier" isolation transformer, which managed to operate the PAT earth leakage test on a 500 watt drill, but popped it's fuse when asked the same on a 1250 watt circular saw. As the sticker on my little isolation transformer says, "this is not a power supply".
Much larger capacity Isolation TX units are available, but far too rich for this part-time PAT guy. I'd love to know how the IsoTX "fools" the PAT device into operating though................
My new powerful and smooth (in both voltage and frequency) Generator didn't change things, despite me taking its Earth Point down to about 30 Ohm's to Earth.
Still, the Seaward 3760 plus PAT tester says "STOP" instead of firing up the tool for the test.
Shouda done more theory training, and asked more questions, I suppose. Any guru's out there that can suggest a cheaper solution for greenfield portable appliance testing?
ACDC

Postby Phil Hoppe » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:49 am

You are working off Generators that are built as Isolated Winding generators. That means there is no connection between the Power Supply (N) and the earth to the frame.
Suggest to your customers that they could have the EU20i generator or other generators fitted with an RCD and the neutral and earth connected(bonded). This will mean that you will be safe while testing.
Phil Hoppe

Return to Portable Appliance Testing