ac adapter/power supply

PATGuard 3 Forum

ac adapter/power supply

Postby hirsty » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi,
I am coming across more frequently ac adapters/power supplies designed for multiple country use
by having a detachable plug face.
Quite a few of these can be detached whilst plugged in and more worrying have no shutters
exposing contacts.They have the relevent saftey marks on
whats your thoughts?
link here to pictures couldnt get them on here!
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/pat-testing/93543-ac-adapter-power-supply.html

Cheers
hirsty

Re: ac adapter/power supply

Postby Patnik » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Most of these I've come across have some mechanism, bendy plastic clip or similar, to prevent removal while actually plugged in. They also usually have precautions to stop someone touching the live contacts if they were daft enough to plug the country adapter in without it's PSU/appliance, usually the contact metalwork is visible but only accessible by poking with a thin object.

So while I had doubts when I first saw them I think they are mostly ok (though no doubt some dodgy gray market ones will be showing up soon with PAT left to try and explain to the user why they have just acquired a Fail sticker).
Patnik

Postby Sparky Joe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Hirsty

I agree with Patnik that some of these adaptors have a locking mechanisim.
However I have come across some adaptors that can become detached while plugged in and you can see the Line conductors.
This cannot be safe as normal plug sockets have shutters in place once a plug top is removed the shutters close.
I do not agree with the arugment that you would have to poke something into the Line conductors to get a shock.
Would you not all so have a chance of getting a shock if you had say a wedding ring on your hand.
The UK has used shutter safe sockets for years now these adaptors come along and if detached you can visibly see the Line conductors..
In my view these adaptors pose a risk and you could argue its minor but its still a risk.
When will IET include a proper guidance for Adaptors ?
It would really help as there is now more fakes then ever before.
We need something along the lines of BS for plug tops so there is clear rules on what is allowed and not allowed.
Really glad someone else has spotted the dangers of detachable adaptors as there is a risk there.
Sparky Joe

Postby Graeme » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:50 am

One way of deciding, would be the standard finger test. IE can the contacts be touched with a standard finger, whilst plugged in.
If the answer is yes then it will be a fail.
Graeme
Graeme

Return to Portable Appliance Testing