Rewirable Plugs

PATGuard 3 Forum

Rewirable Plugs

Postby DN163NG » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:01 am

Is it possible for terminal post screws in a rewirable plug to work loose? I found several needed tightening on a recent inspection.

Also, does anyone know if an older type plug (with no insulating sleeves for neutral and live) should be automatically be replaced regardless wether it's damaged or not.

Thanks
DN163NG

Re: Rewirable Plugs

Postby Alan Freeman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:09 pm

In answer to your questions.

1. Yes the terminals can and do work loose. I have found some I did last year which I know were tight, have become loose.

2. It is not illegal to continue to use a plug with un-insulated pins, but advisable to change them. It IS however illegal to fit a plug without insulated pins to an item. I always change them when I find them.
Alan Freeman

Postby DN163NG » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks for that. Noted. I've since also decided to change modern "bakelite" type plugs. Too much rough handling resulting in chips and cracks. Just found a few with exposed earth pins. Easily visible when they're plugged in so one wonders why some people still plug them in? We do have policies/procedures etc but it's not very often staff report things !?!
DN163NG

Postby Grizzly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 am

DN163NG wrote:I've since also decided to change modern "bakelite" type plugs. Too much rough handling resulting in chips and cracks.

Quite right too.
Any plugs that are identified as being subject to harsh treatment and rough handling should be of the 'resilient' type, marked as BS 1363A, as opposed to 'non-resilient', marked only as BS 1363.
C&G 2377 -01 & -02
Grizzly

Postby verstapp » Tue May 20, 2014 6:41 am

Getting people to report is a real problem here too. I carry a camera, many pics to OH&S.
Last was a grad student who'd spent the last 6 months facing a GPO pulled out from the wall, at a distance of 2'.
"But I never noticed it..."
verstapp.
verstapp

Return to Portable Appliance Testing